Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compound radius FRETBOARD is incompatible with STRING/SADDLE RADIUS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to muddy the waters a bit more.... Some I've gotten have had the saddles mixed in their positions. Taller ones on the G and B, shorter on D and high E, shortest on low E and A, etc. Make sure they're where you want them before starting shimming. And some have dots, some have numbers, some have nothing.. Gets annoying.. And here's a tip: Carb cleaner removes the paint from a beer can to cut shims out of. lol
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

And, not everybody even tries to match the radius. Jeff Beck sets the high E and B saddles extra high
      because he likes the sound and it accommodates his whammy technique. Do what sounds best to
      you!

Comment

From the Floyd site (which lines up with my experience)

Q: What is the Floyd Rose Original bridge radius with and without the shim under the center saddle?
        A:The bridge radius is 12” without the shim and 10” with the shim.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
          From the Floyd site (which lines up with my experience)

Q: What is the Floyd Rose Original bridge radius with and without the shim under the center saddle?
          A:The bridge radius is 12” without the shim and 10” with the shim.
          Yeah I've seen that before. I guess it is what it is. I tried to measure the strings there at the trem with radius gauges, but it's hard to measure strings that way and get a conclusive result. I wonder if the JT6 is radiused the same way, or perhaps they "fixed" that issue? I guess when this translates into string action height on the board, it is somewhat forgiving and you sort of get away with it. But on paper it should cause the inside strings to be a bit higher relative to the outer E's. It must be a small increase because I don't see it with a string action gauge.

Comment

Just learned something new. Chris Cannella, in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfqv...=RDdu2BNVO9q7Q, says the 12-16" radius is measured at the 3rd and 12th frets.

That makes the "cone" much more drastic.

But my understring radius gauges tell me it's 12-16" at the nut and butt.

Maybe it's so subtle that nobody should nitpick or think too hard about it.

Comment

If it's truly 12" at the 3rd fret, that would explain why the 10" radius nut is not an issue.
              But if it's 16" at the 12th fret, this would completely throw off any Floyd as you would be looking at 28"-30" at the bridge.
              So I'll take that info with a few grains of salt.
              -Rick

Comment

Agreed. I trust my radius gauges. 12" at the nut, 16" at the butt, and about 20" at the saddles.

Comment

From a 1988 catalog scan (http://www.guitarhalo.com/charvel-5.html), it's 12" at the nut and 16" at the 21st fret:

Comment

Working...
                  X