Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much maintenance do you do on your guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
    A little trick I use for getting dust out of those hard to reach areas is a portable air compressor with a blower nozzle. Works great on fret boards, headstocks, around pups, trems etc...
    Q-tips? Compressed air ..you lazy ass!
    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Q-Tips? Takes 30 seconds to do the whole guitar with a compressor. Life is short...time is precious.
      96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
        Q-Tips? Takes 30 seconds to do the whole guitar with a compressor. Life is short...time is precious.
        +1 and more time for making noise!
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I barely do anything. Oil necks twice a year and just play them. I do have some that haven't been in cases in years others that live in the case unless I'm playing it.

Comment

I change my strings every year or so. I have 23 guitars and do all of them at the same time. I tend to rotate them for gigs. If one gets too yucky, I throw it in a case and grab a different one. My "metal" guitars I tend to keep cleaner than my "vintage" style guitars - which I never actually clean.
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

In my old age, I've gotten pretty lazy. String changes are strictly as needed, at which time I usually clean and oil the fretboard. Like others with a lot of guitars, it really depends on which ones I'm playing regularly. I have a few that haven't seen new strings in years, but I don't play them much.

I run a dehumidifier, having seen what happens if I don't many years ago. Misery. Heartbreak. Unwanted expenditure of currency.
              sigpic

Comment

Since I gig a fair amount, and change strings before every show, yeah, I do work on them a lot. Most of my guitars' necks are lightly finished just oiled, so they tend move a bit more than some others, so truss rods at least twice a year. I change pickups, rewire things sometimes, replace pots that get ruined from having beer poured in them, etc. Ebony boards get oiled at least twice a year, rosewood at least one.

They sit out, too, but I generally need access to them for rehearsals and such.
                Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Quite a bit being in the climate I'm in...but nothing major

Comment

Sadly, and I should probably be beaten for this, none lately. All my guitars just hang on the tree, strings rusted, collecting dust and airborne dog hair. I have really no desire to play anymore and haven't in probably years now.
                    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Twitch I had the same thing happen to me for almost ten years. A few times a year I would go and play and when I did I was frustrated because my hands were weak my muscle memory was gone etc... So it was just depressing when I did. I totally get that. It comes back quick but there is a curve to get back to speed. It also kills the desire when you get frustrated imho.
                      I keep the bible in a pool of blood
                      So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                        Sadly, and I should probably be beaten for this, none lately. All my guitars just hang on the tree, strings rusted, collecting dust and airborne dog hair. I have really no desire to play anymore and haven't in probably years now.
                        Twitch nice seeing you back. It happens to all of us, you get into a rut, but then someday you climb out of it.

I haven't been doing much maintenance either. Mine aren't in bad shape, but I have some (a lot) of projects I need to finish. I just need to get off my lazy ass and do it.

I still play and have many guitars that I can just plug in and go, so I tend to that instead of finishing the projects.

Comment

Donp! It's nice seeing all the common names still kickin it here.
                          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

My house is hot and humid in the summer; cold and dry in the winter. So I wind up
                            adjusting the truss rods on my regular players twice a year. If one guitar needs it, they
                            all do--and right around the same time for all of them...

Beyond that, I spot check the action on the regulars a couple times a year also. I'm lucky
                            that most of my guitars are old and the wood's pretty stable...

Comment

Working...
                            X