No announcement yet.

Jackson Odd ball RR24 restoration in process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more progress, tip has first layer done; second is now drying. started 1st layer on the other bad spot. Pretty good color match if i do say so myself. After a bunch of layers build up it can be chemically taken down flat with the rest of the paint. This is an altered system based on auto body "plasti dip" and works wonders on bad bashes on guitars, however, it is only as good as your paint match abilities. only down side is that there is a 24 hour wait time between coats. reason why it kicks but. most putties and fillers will "shrink" leaving ghost lines or sink in the overall paint job this does not.

Comment

notice on the first of the 2 pics in the update that horrible hole that was put in the aluminum cover.

Comment

I'd guess during '93-'94 when those Grover Jackson logo'd models began, some oddballs may have been manufactured. Theories are all we have at this point. Transition years can be messy.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Yea trying to figure out what it is has become just a bit "?" mark. it is a 1994 guitar from serial number. during that time they were starting to have issues with the Japan side of production due to production restrictions and in 1995 everything shut down as far as the real Pro series however some pro series carried on with the new build team until 1999. these guitars are not nearly as good as the original team.

I was told by Itaru Kanno himself that the original team consisted mainly of hand picked guys from the original 1986-1990 Charvel team. these were the guys building the "professional series run from 1990 -1995. this is why they kick so much butt.
          Last edited by AAEA; 11-07-2015, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Progress update.

Corner is starting to build up nicely, other bash is filling in nicely as well. corner will need probably 2 more layers before it can be taken down flush.

All the parts for the Kahler came in from Wammiworld.com so I tore it down and rebuilt it. had a few broken pieces and a completely rusted out base plate. I got 6 new saddles as these older ones were quite worn. came out great. Had no idea how many little bits a kahler non-trem had.

want to thank the guys at wammyworld.com for the discount on parts, really cool guys.

Last edited by AAEA; 11-07-2015, 01:58 AM.

Comment

I have a crimson swirl that has an identical wing injury. I want to fill it. Maybe just black because that is impossible to color match. I paid a hundo for it so it by no means has to be perfect. Where do you get that stuff.
              I keep the bible in a pool of blood
              So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Me and the friend who owns a body shop are developing this. it isn't for sale yet.

Comment

Progress update. Took a break from the paint issues for a bit. plated the cavities and rewired the ground. Saw this bridge taped ground done before so giving it a try. added the 9v clip as well. so far everything is coming along well.

Comment

Looking good!
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

its like its a Rhoads version of the Mustaine KV Pro,

Looking good all the same

Comment

Progress update. Deciding to hold off on any painting for a while as I let the cap off the stuff and it dried out and hardened Have to mix up another batch now. I fear a mismatch it the paint now from this so we will see. but aside from all that jazz I've started to reassemble the guitar. Here are some pics of the fretboard as I clean it up. ebony is super clean and jet black, inlays have some deep figure to them aswel. couldn't be happier with how its coming along.

Comment

Coincidentally, I ordered a set of those fret guides from stewmac this evening. The shipping to Canada was as much as the price of the guides.

Lots of meat left on those frets, eh?
                          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Yea its pretty obvious that these were changed out at least once but the previous guy did a good clean job. I'm considering a level and polish but I have not encountered any buzzing or fretting out yet so not really a good idea to dress all the frets to make them "look nice" for the sake of 100% super pretty frets.

Comment

Working...
                            X