Need some help... fret buzz....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by outlawten5 View Post
    Loosen the truss rod in quarter turn increments. I think you may have overtightened it.
    I mis-spoke... I have been loosening. (Counterclockwise...) I can still turn it, with some force, but I don't wanna do any damage. This is really irritating, like the guy in the posted thread above, I've had many guitars in my 30 years or so of playing, I've never had any trouble like this... I love the guitar, but it's almost un-playable. I may try the heat thing, with a hair dryer...???
    Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Sounds like you found the OTHER side of the 2 way rod.
      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

So...tonight I can visibly see neck bow. (I adjusted it further last night, and let it sit...) I still have serious buzz above the 12th fret. Relief is about .010 (or so...) So now what?!?!?! Maybe it's not a neck relief issue? Or should I try to adjust further? Any other thoughts on what may cause this? I'm extremely frustrated here...

Comment

Carefully take to a tech/luthier, who'll run a long straight edge on it to check for level frets.
          Don't cost much for experience.

Comment

have you checked string height at the nut? You may need a shim under it. Also if you have another floyd you could swap it out to eliminate a defective trem.

Comment

Thanks all for the help

Actually, I just recently put in the floyd now that you mention it. (Had chrome when I got it...) It's a brand new one... could it be defective?

I'm gonna take it in, there's a local guy here.

Comment

If it is only on frets 12+, try bringing your relief back to normal and raise the bridge.
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlz View Post
                  So...tonight I can visibly see neck bow. (I adjusted it further last night, and let it sit...) I still have serious buzz above the 12th fret. Relief is about .010 (or so...) So now what?!?!?! Maybe it's not a neck relief issue? Or should I try to adjust further? Any other thoughts on what may cause this? I'm extremely frustrated here...
                  Again I ask how high your action is, because if it's crazy low, no amount of neck relief is gonna prevent the strings from buzzing against the frets
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                    Again I ask how high your action is, because if it's crazy low, no amount of neck relief is gonna prevent the strings from buzzing against the frets

I normally like it pretty low. I originally had the bridge raised up, when I started chasing the problem. I lowered it down to flush with the body, and tried chasing after neck relief. Didn't fix it. So, now that I got some relief, I raised the bridge a bit and it seems to be fixed. Right now at the 12th fret it's about .060 on my feeler gauge, looks about 3/16" (with tape measure...) The buzz is all but gone

Thanks for all the help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Charlz View Post
                      Does anyone think changing string gauge may help...?
                      It may help.

I just couldn't get the action right on my 7 string BC Rich... until I changed to a lighter gauge of string. It's worth trying out if nothing else is working for you so far.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Adjusting the relief will not help much with buzz above the 12th fret, the truss rod will have very little effect that high up.
                        General rule : buzz on lower frets=adjust the neck, buzz on higher frets=adjust the string height
                        What may be a litte worrying is if you only have the buzzing on the three of the strings, if everything else in your setup checks out it could be a slight warp in the neck...I have fixed a few of those over the years and it usually involves removing the frets, planing the fingerboard and refret, but if it's not too serious you may get away with a fret dress.
                        Last edited by 1337storm; 06-03-2015, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X