No announcement yet.

Ti Snake Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, so I've had a little bit of time to play around with it. I recorded a quick video of the guitar before the swap, but events overtook me and we had to rearrange our apartment, so I imagine the 'after' version will sound different anyway because of the room change, which is a shame. But, it is what it is..

The first thing that surprised me was how just how light weight the bridge was: with the arm installed, it's maybe 2/3 the weight of a regular floyd without the arm. Otherwise, the install was obviously pretty straight forward, though somewhat surprisingly, the pivot posts use the same allen wrench as the intonation screws rather than the one for the nut which seems strange. I was disappointed that the nut needed shimming - I took off an R3 nut and installed the Ti R2 and had to raise it a decent amount to stop it fretting out on the first fret, and unless I'm totally missing the point, Floyd nuts differ in width not height? But with that sorted out:

The guitar is definitely, absolutely more resonant than it was before. I used the same strings so the comparison was as fair as possible (given I'm trusting my brain and my ears rather than some sort of signal analysis), and the guitar is louder and notes sustain longer. I was expecting the guitar to sound brighter, but (albeit early days) to my ears it doesn't which is fine by me. And the bridge feels great - the arm and fine tuners just have a smooth, positive feel to them rather than the slightly 'clunky' arm and 'gritty' tuners that regular floyds have. More Mercedes than Kia if you like!! I like the look of it, but now need to find knobs that match, I guess some sort of brushed aluminum or satin silver would be the closest...

So, is it better than a regular floyd? Yeah, I'd say it is absolutely. Is it worth the extra money? Nah, of course not Is it cool? Subjective of course, but yeah, I think so. Would I install one again? If money was no object, yup no doubt at all.
    Last edited by neilli; 05-04-2014, 09:46 AM.
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

That would be a tough one to explain to wifey. It would have to fall into the "I've always had this" category. Seriously though, I HAVE to think its going to be better then a regular Floyd( and it seems it is).....but the price is....crazy. I'll add it to the list...
      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Nice Review. Will you post the before / after video's even through the room had changed? Also, the R2 and R3 nut have different heights by design. It is normal that you would need to shim significantly going to an R2.

Comment

See, I never knew that - learn something new every day and all that!

Here's a pic of the guitar after the install - just need some matching knobs, and I have to figure out where I can find a pickup ring to match the ivory EMGs as so far everything is too creme..

Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
            and I have to figure out where I can find a pickup ring to match the ivory EMGs as so far everything is too creme..
            That looks sweet! I think a brushed aluminum pickup ring would look just as cool, if not better than an ivory one. Maybe hit up Budman, if he still makes em.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Oops, double post.
              Also, cool review on the titanium Floyd. I actually wear a titanium wedding ring because of its light weight.

BTW, what's up w those wacky rounded saddle block inserts? They look expensive to replace!
              Last edited by MetalMedal II; 05-06-2014, 01:58 PM.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I love the look the titanium. It looks different. Love it.
                -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                  Floyd nuts differ in width not height?
                  Just manufacturing tolerances, Ian.

Comment

$1300? Fuck lol but that's still very legit
                    I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
                    ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
                    Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
                    Blackstar Soloist HT60