Guitar shipping advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaoWai View Post
    Bubble wrap is better as you can pop them afterwards.
    Or the seller might pop them BEFORE shipment. I'm sticking with my peanuts.

Comment

If the guitar is in a factory case there is no need to add packing to the case. If it's a non factory case and a lil padding is needed only pad the body area. The headstock should not touch the back of the bottom of the case. No packing to the headstock should be needed. If the guitar takes a fall or bumped hard etc. the headstock and neck area need to vibrate to expell that energy or it will explode. Putting bubble wrap or something under the neck to raise the headstock off the back means that's not the right case for the guitar. Doing so can also put extra pressure on the neck and cause problems. Wrap the case in bubble wrap and on top and bottom of the case for support and cushion. If it has a Floyd just loosen the srtings a little. To reduce stress on the headstock. Put all loose parts in aa ziplock bag and put bubble wrap or paper in the accessories compartment and above it to keep it closed.
      Last edited by JACKSONFREAK; 04-27-2014, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I don't loosen the strings, but I do pack around the body ONLY! NEVER, ever, ever, EVER pack around a headstock; it's a recipe for disaster. Just pack the body so that the guitar cannot move inside the case, and pack the case so that it can't move in the box. It's also one of the easiest things to do.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I am going to hijack this thread for a related issue:

Cliff is talking about moving. Its a 12 hour drive. But he is using professional movers.
          I often do the 12 hour trip (harrisburg to nashville). But I do it by car.

Should I be packing my shit up as if I was moving, like him. Or is throwing it in the case and in the car fine?

Comment

“professional movers”
            It’s a good point, but then again it’s out of your control. If it’s in the back seat of your own car without a few tons of other crap, it may not be an issue.
            Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              Should I be packing my shit up as if I was moving, like him. Or is throwing it in the case and in the car fine?
              No: You probably care about your guitar, and know what it is. Moving company staff probably don't...
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I would probably load mine in the car and take them myself.
                I would need to rent a van I suppose but thats better than letting the mover guys toss them around.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Looks like the move will take a number of days, so I guess they're going to be in storage for some of that time. Anyway, they're all nicely packed inside their cases now, and I'm told the movers will carefully pack the cases themselves.
                  My other signature says something funny

Comment

All guitars arrived safe-and-sound. What a relief! Thanks all for the great advice.
                    My other signature says something funny

Comment

Working...
                    X