No announcement yet.

Super 5-way for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not following this "North Finish/South Start" bizness. That's for humbucker coils being connected to each other internally, in my experience.

Here's how a 1990 Warrior with Armstrongs was connected:

This gave typical Strat-style switching, and should be true for H-S-S.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I used this schematic, since it was the original combo used in the Fusion Plus

That's where the north and south come from and you see them connected to the 'common' lug

probably to ground North F to the ground to split the coil
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Ah, ok. Since everyone uses different color-coding, they can't just say "red here, green there" (unless they put out the effort to do DiMarzio, Duncan, Jackson, Gibson, etc diagrams).
        You'd have to look at the specific pickup's color-coding for that.

As for why it works, at position 2, the coils routed to the top wafer are shunted to ground, leaving only the opposite coils active. On position 4, those coils are inserted into the "output stream" on the bottom wafer.

As well, you'd have to look closely at the contact plate for the switch to see which connections are made in which positions to gain a better understanding of the how and why certain connections make sense.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
        X