No announcement yet.

Pick up help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the JB in E. Not my favourite pickup & there are others that I like much better, but it's not awful. Don't like it in D. Muddy horrible mess
    Hail yesterday

Comment

The JB is okay in E and Eb, still better in mahogany than alder, but just okay (not as flubby sounding). If you want to tune lower with it, just get the Mustaine Live Wire version... much better.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        The JB is okay in E and Eb, still better in mahogany than alder, but just okay (not as flubby sounding). If you want to tune lower with it, just get the Mustaine Live Wire version... much better.
        How do the live wires stack up compared to EMG's? I've never played them myself. My buddy had them in his Custom Dean VMNT but he changed them before I could hear them for a set of EMG's.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Thanks fellas...I think I'm gonna try Bare Knuckle Juggernaut.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
            For downtuned stuff, the Duncan Alternative-8 is killer. It's the Custom with an Alnico-8 magnet (between an A5 and a ceramic), and does a fantastic job of keeping downtuned stuff sounding nice and clear.

Sully
            Alt8 is a different wind than what is used for the Customs. The Custom with an A8 magnet isn't an official Duncan pickup, but the SD forum folks call it a Custom8. Duncan will make one as a "shop floor custom"" with a small upcharge.

Comment

A CustomCustom (A2 magnet) is also good for vintage Sabbath IMO. Gets a really good Into The Void tone in an all mahogany SG-type (lightweight, not a backbreaker LP). Haven't tried one in my mahogany SLS Custom (thicker body than the standard SLS, though, more like an SL2H with the SLS body shape and head). That one has a JB/59 hybrid set I made (one coil of each paired with the other). The 59 coil gives the JB the balls it's missing, and the JB gives the drive the 59 typically lacks.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I agree with the Full Shred recommendation. Another idea would be a Duncan Distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                  Alt8 is a different wind than what is used for the Customs. The Custom with an A8 magnet isn't an official Duncan pickup, but the SD forum folks call it a Custom8. Duncan will make one as a "shop floor custom"" with a small upcharge.
                  Really? Hm. I musta confused it with the Custom8. Coulda sworn it was the same. Learn somethin' new every day!

Sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                    How do the live wires stack up compared to EMG's?
                    Not even comparable. Way too much gain and distortion. If you want to play metal on a Jazz amp, they might work.

But they may have tweaked them... I only owned them when they first came out.

They were like the Line 6 of pickups, but not in a good way.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

The Mustaine Live Wires are just active versions of the JB and Jazz... a tiny bit more gain and tighter sounding, but they use 100k pots, I guess to sound closer to passive. I've never tried the regular LW versions.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                        I agree with the Full Shred recommendation. Another idea would be a Duncan Distortion.
                        Full shred is tits!
                        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          The Mustaine Live Wires are just active versions of the JB and Jazz... a tiny bit more gain and tighter sounding, but they use 100k pots, I guess to sound closer to passive. I've never tried the regular LW versions.
                          @ Toejam; I didn't know they were modeled after the JB and the Jazz. Thx bro. @Xeno; which one has way too much gain and distortion? The EMG's or the Live Wires?

Comment

Are you using a heavier gauge string? I like using a 52 or heavier for C tuning. Also try backing the JB down a bit it will sound less muddy. Also see what value volume pot is in the guitar. A higher value pot will give you more high end.
                            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                              They were like the Line 6 of pickups, but not in a good way.
                              It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                              ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                                Are you using a heavier gauge string? I like using a 52 or heavier for C tuning. Also try backing the JB down a bit it will sound less muddy. Also see what value volume pot is in the guitar. A higher value pot will give you more high end.
                                Gil
                                I use a 56 set. I almost pulled the trigger on bare knuckles but changed my mind after reading another post about pick up heights. Gonna tinker with that first before I decide now. Just haven't had the time to do anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X