No announcement yet.

Pickups mounted to body vs. using a pickup ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I'd like to see threaded inserts in the pickup cavities so you could use the machine screws that come with pickups and change height much easier on direct mounted guitars. Plus, you wouldn't wear out the screw holes in the body.

Something to think about if I ever have a custom guitar built.

Comment

Not a bad idea there, but then there's the cost of having those inserts made, and the horror associated with them not being located properly. It's just easier if people get over the hype of direct-mounted pickups picking up body vibrations.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I've tested this direct mount Eddie Van Halen myth on several guitars. Its a fairytale and adds zero to the sound. It also make no sense if you know how a pickup senses the string vibrations. But it looks better on some guitars that I like.

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        Not a bad idea there, but then there's the cost of having those inserts made, and the horror associated with them not being located properly. It's just easier if people get over the hype of direct-mounted pickups picking up body vibrations.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          Oh, I believe none of the hype. I just prefer not to have pickup rings.

Comment

An issue I've encountered recently with the direct-mounted pickups on my KVMG is that the cavity is not deep enough. I'm assuming it came to me with the factory setup, which was incredibly high for the strings that were on it. I had to lower the bridge pickup to lower the bridge, but the pickup is still too close to the strings (ans it's an EMG, which, believe it or dont can actually be too close). The 89 in the neck isn't faring much better - no matter if it's split or not, it's just too close with the action set low.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
            X