No announcement yet.

retainer bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would recommend not being a fucking retard that would drill out a Jackson head stock. I mean it's not like they don't know what they're doing at Jackson. If it needed a retaining bar it would have came equipped with one.
    Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-08-2014, 08:48 AM.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Or a 23rd fret....because ya know...."it's not like they don't know what they're doing"....really wtf do you think they are....Gibson??

Comment

Originally posted by JonSick View Post
        On the issue of retainer bars, I've grown to not like them. I took the one off my FR Strat and found the sustain did improve sustain a buttload!
        Not doubting your experience, but I don't really see how that is possible. Once the nut is locked down, a retainer bar shouldn't be a factor. Unlocked, if it is indeed pushing the strings down further, then it would have an affect on perceived tension/compliance. Whatever the case, if there were any detectible change, I'd think it would be extremely minor at best. But everybody's perception and sensitivity are different.

Comment

Originally posted by BLOOD SPLATTER View Post
          Or a 23rd fret....because ya know...."it's not like they don't know what they're doing"....really wtf do you think they are....Gibson??

+1 Nice bro!
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
            Not doubting your experience, but I don't really see how that is possible. Once the nut is locked down, a retainer bar shouldn't be a factor. Unlocked, if it is indeed pushing the strings down further, then it would have an affect on perceived tension/compliance. Whatever the case, if there were any detectible change, I'd think it would be extremely minor at best. But everybody's perception and sensitivity are different.
            +1 I agree. I don't see how this could make a difference once the nut was locked.

Comment

The retainer bar has nothing to do with sustain trust me.
              No need to put one on there with the tilt of the headstock.
              Find out if it has a correct nut on it first. Some are shorter than others in height.
              Shimming the nut on the tuner side I have done with success a few times as long as you don't go too far. a small strip of a post it note on the leading edge should do it.
              When using a retainer bar you want the strings parallel with the face of the headstock coming off the tuners back to the retainer bar.
              Last edited by straycat; 01-09-2014, 12:25 AM.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                Lets assume that I am going to do it. Lets assume you can't talk me out of it.

If i wanted to keep the truss cover in use.
                If i wanted to lower all six strings.
                If i wanted to reduce the hard sideways angle coming off the nut of the lower strings.

How would you recommend I do it?
                To meet all 3 criteria, perhaps a Kahler Floyd-style locknut that has a built in stringing tree would fit the bill. This came stock on a Charvel 3DR I had and I thought it was pretty slick. The string guide is on the back end of the nut and is held in w 2 screws. Here’s an Ebay auction of one that has decent photos:
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980...item20dd9c82e2

I don’t know the naming scheme Kahler uses for the different widths, like the Schaller ones.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                  To meet all 3 criteria, perhaps a Kahler Floyd-style locknut that has a built in stringing tree would fit the bill. This came stock on a Charvel 3DR I had and I thought it was pretty slick. The string guide is on the back end of the nut and is held in w 2 screws. Here’s an Ebay auction of one that has decent photos:
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1980...item20dd9c82e2

I don’t know the naming scheme Kahler uses for the different widths, like the Schaller ones.
                  Kahler still makes that nut. Just Google Kahler and you'll find their and a list of nut sizes.

Comment

Try it! All I can say is it made a difference!

Not being a physics major I couldn't tell you why.

Comment

Working...
                    X