No announcement yet.

Winter stress on guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a really great article about guitars and humidity guys. http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/11997
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I haven't noticed any issues you mentioned. Curious what the humidity levels are in my house being the temp stays constant. The only time they leave the house is when I take them for re-stringing and set-ups. About twice a year. Like I said I am going to pick up that straight edge and at least monitor if the necks change.

Comment

Originally posted by outlawten5 View Post
        I haven't noticed any issues you mentioned. Curious what the humidity levels are in my house being the temp stays constant. The only time they leave the house is when I take them for re-stringing and set-ups. About twice a year. Like I said I am going to pick up that straight edge and at least monitor if the necks change.
        You could be lucky and have a house that stays right in the good area 40 to 50%. I never pay someone to set up or restring a guitar. waste of time money and gas in my opinion. But to each their own. EDIT; Buy one of these if you want to see what your levels are like. http://www.daddario.com/pwProductDet...erature_Sensor
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

lived In New Mexico for many many years, where the humidity levels get really low, never had an issue.
          Now I live in Shanghai, where the humpty levels get crazy high, one of my SL2H’s gets a bit finicky and I need to adjust the truss rod.
          Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by outlawten5 View Post

You don't restring your own guitars???

Comment

I know right? Just lazy I guess. I am going to assume living in sw fla my humidity levels are higher than most.

Comment

I keep mine in the case in a closet that is not directly walled against the out side of the house.
                Leaving one out on a rack or stand in the winter is not a good thing or having a heater vent blowing on the instrument,that will dry it out.
                I stay away from wall hangers for that reason plus if some one comes over I don't want to have them seeing what I have.
                I don't mind them seeing a shotgun propped up in the corner tho'.
                A basement is the last place I would keep guitars during the winter.
                Last edited by straycat; 01-05-2014, 11:11 AM.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                  I had my HVAC people install a humidifier on my furnace when I moved in my house several years ago. It has a level control mounted next to the thermostat. I believe they charged $350 or so. That was a great investment.
                  +1. Did this for both family health and guitar reasons a few years ago. It's made a notable difference.

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                  Most furnace people don't recommend those furnace humidifiers. you can grow mold.
                  That sounds more like an amateur, not a professional with proper training and experience. You should have no issues with mold, as long as you monitor the humidity setting relative to the house's actual value. So buy a cheap hygrometer to keep an eye on it. Or, better still, spend a little more and buy a humidifier unit that's programmable from your home thermostat.

Comment

Actually it's been every person that I have every had work on my HVAC and my friends that have worked with another person that owns his own company. Besides mold you are putting water into metal hmm wonder what happens with water and metal.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                      You don't restring your own guitars???
                      That's what I said too!

Comment

It's times like these that I wish we had an absolute source/authority to settle debates such as this. Furnace humidifiers: feasible or not. :think:
                        Last edited by vector; 01-04-2014, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                          It's times like these that I wish we had an absolute source/authority to settle debates such as this. Furnace humidifiers: feasible or not. :think:
                          I agree! I think whatever way you do it is okay just as long as your guitars are being protected from the weather. The House My wife and I live in is only seven years old so it has a very good vapor barrier. I paid about $300.00 for my humidifier and it was money well spent in my opinion.

Comment

Actually it's been every person that I have every had work on my HVAC and my friends that have worked with another person that owns his own company. Besides mold you are putting water into metal hmm wonder what happens with water and metal.
                            I took quotes from several firms before installing and asked this very question - none raised it as a issue. I also installed a new furnace last year, and kept the existing humidifier. Again, all quoting firms they said it was fine, recommended it. I also know a guy who ran his own very successful HVAC business for 30+ years, and he recommends them for newer homes. (Meaning built in the last 25 years or so.) Why? Because with modern construction, insulation, and especially windows, newer homes don't "breathe" like older ones. That helps maintain heat/cool settings, but seals a house out from water vapor in the outside air. So newer houses are a lot drier than older construction, especially in the winter with the furnace running.

And if you're worried about rust from a humidifier, again, you're not monitoring its settings and just overdoing it.

Comment

Every person/company I talked to says not to fix the ones I have had in the 2 houses I've owed. They are a waste of Money. My current company has been around since 1946. Yes they are older homes. With the weather here not much will help kept my guitars set up well for long.

Comment

Every person/company I talked to says not to fix the ones I have had in the 2 houses I've owed. They are a waste of Money. My current company has been around since 1946. Yes they are older homes. With the weather here not much will help kept my guitars set up well for long.
                                So do they recommend just doing nothing and letting humidity fall to 15% or whatever?

Comment

Working...
                                X