Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd out of tune after pull-ups. Back in tune after dive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
    The Ibanez Prestige model hand book that came with my RG1550ML is the source of that statement. It says changing action with string/spring tension damages the knife edges.
    That may be because Ibanez uses lower grade metal in their trems. This is not a problem with an Original Floyd. I mean, if you owned a Porsche, would you follow Hyundai's factory maintenance schedule for the engine? LOL

In 35 years of playing guitar, I've never worn down the posts or knife edges of an Original Floyd. Not saying it can't be done, just that it's extremely rare. And, besides, the daily use of the trem itself - up/down motion - will do waaaayyy more wear than a once-in-a-blue-moon, occasional string height adjustment. Heck, I'm the original owner of a nearly 30 year old Jackson and the Original Floyd on it still has rock solid tuning stability.

Bottom line: adjusting string height under tension with an Original Floyd is not a problem at all.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to spend any time with the guitar since starting this thread, but looking at the possibilities:

1. Could be a nut problem, but if that were the case, it seems odd that a dive would put it back in perfect tune.
      2. Could be knife edge or post issue, but sounds like that is a rare problem with an OFR. This is actually a Floyd 1000, but from what I can gather they are built to the same standard except in Korea instead of Germany.
      3. I'm wondering if maybe the springs are shot/junk?

Comment

I have always adjusted the trem posts under tension and never had a problem Floyd Rose says to adjust it that way so I do.
        The nut could be loose so check the screws,check the locking pads for wear. You may need ti file the leading edges or just get new pads.
        Trem springs just add one or buy new springs and try that.
        Properly stretching your strings is a must too.
        Check for burrs at the string saddles as well.
        Just as important to check your saddle lock down screws( intonation adj screws) its possible they are not snug on the trem base plate and letting the saddles move slightly.With what you described I'll bet that is where your problem is.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
          Never had a problem in over 20 years of playing and my first real Floyd is from when they put "Original" on the plate and it's still sharp and always returns to pitch. I do actually lube the knife edges too though
          My 2012 Jackson USA Select King V trem says "Original" on it.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Same here.
            And here...
            It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
            ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I've had a similar thing occur when the string saddle was slightly loose , the increase in tension from a pull up vs. divebomb would pull it forward a small amount and it would go out of tune , took awhile to figure it out as the movement was so small you couldn't actually see it but once I locked it down properly everything was ok.

Comment

I cant see how turning the screw with tension on the bridge would be much different than dive bombing or pulling up on the bridge with tension on the strings. The tension is still there and you are rubbing metals. I've always adjusted action with the tension applied as well. I think that makes me +7 or something.
                "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

I did three things:

1. Installed new springs.
                  2. Swapped nut pads.
                  3. Tightened the two screws that hold the locking nut down.

Good news. I have been whammying for over an hour and this thing is holding tune 100% dead on. Yippee!

Not sure what the fix was, but I'm inclined to think #3 was the main contributing factor. This is a fairly new guitar and I checked those not long after I got it, but maybe they loosened a bit or something. Dunno. I'll continue to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for all the tips.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted and it didn't cost you a whole new unit.
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

99% of the time its not the trem itself.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                      X