Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sounds like a JB but with less mids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To elaborate on the PATB-1: I have it in two guitars and it is excellent in both. One is a MIJ ESP Horizon FR that came stock with a JB in the bridge. The JB sounded too bright/thin in that guitar. The PATB-1 was the perfect solution.

Also, the PATB-1 splits very well. On my other PATB-1 equipped guitar, I've played a lot of surf and rockabilly with it split in the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
      Also, the PATB-1 splits very well. On my other PATB-1 equipped guitar, I've played a lot of surf and rockabilly with it split in the bridge.
      Funny you say that, I was just going to say the same thing. Pretty much every pickup review ever says that they coil tap well, but this one REALLY DOES. In humbucker mode, there is this slight single coil type vibe to the tone. Hard to describe. But in tapped mode, it really does a good impression of a true single coil.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Hmmm, I thought the PATB3 was supposed to have a more honky sound and was a little heavier on the mids. I did have a PATB2 in my RR1T I sold earlier this year, and that thing was pretty brutal sounding!
        No the PATB3 actually only has a 3 rating on mids in the tone chart and a 6 for bass and treble. A buddy of mine won't use any other pick up than the PATB2. He swears by them. I must say it sounds great in his Gibson V.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Custom. Get one. Be glad you did.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks for the advice, guys. I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling just by looking at Bass, Mid, and Treble ratings. I get a general idea but that's it. I looked at some YouTube videos on various pickups. What's frustrating is when someone does a comparison between pickups that are in different types of guitars. I just don't see the point of that.

Still, based on what I've read I'm leaning toward a Trembucker of some description. I just haven't decided which one to try yet.
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
              Thanks for the advice, guys. I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling just by looking at Bass, Mid, and Treble ratings. I get a general idea but that's it. I looked at some YouTube videos on various pickups. What's frustrating is when someone does a comparison between pickups that are in different types of guitars. I just don't see the point of that.

Still, based on what I've read I'm leaning toward a Trembucker of some description. I just haven't decided which one to try yet.
              In my opinion if you go Duncan or EMG you can't go wrong. I hope the tone chart I posted helped. Good luck.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

A JB with an Alnico 8 Magnet
                WWW.HELGUitars.com

Comment

Working...
                X