No announcement yet.

The Duncan JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave used a Bill Lawrence neck pup. And his signature set is an active version of the JB/Jazz, but they sound better and use 100k pots instead of 25k that most actives use.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

For a JB, it has to be direct mounted.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
        For a JB, it has to be direct mounted.
        +1
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Dave used a Bill Lawrence neck pup. And his signature set is an active version of the JB/Jazz, but they sound better and use 100k pots instead of 25k that most actives use.
          I knew somebody on here would know.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I like it in my JRS-1 (bolt on neck) never liked it in my neck through SL-1 & KE-1
            Guitars: Jackson KE-1, JRS-1, SL-1 / Charvel 750XL / Gibson Les Paul Standard

Comment

After i get a new wall for a paint booth built in my shop this weekend.. I'm going to yank the stock magnet out of a JB and replace it with an Alnico 8 Mag... gonna do a before and after sound test... will post it in a couple days.

I wish I had an Alternative 8 for comparison, but i installed the last one i had in a customers guitar last week....

The JB-8 is a different animal.. Better bass and less of a mid spike than a JB.. similar output to a Distortion, but, with less fizz, but its different than an Alt-8
              Last edited by h.e.l.shane; 11-15-2013, 05:38 PM.
              WWW.HELGUitars.com

Comment

The JB has to be the most controversial guitar pickup on the planet. It seems either you love it or you hate it. I love the JB. but its all about the style of music you play and how you play the guitar I think even more so that what kind of guitar its in. I do agree that its loose and flubby on the bottom end. its just not built for that range of the freq spectrum. its built to punch out the highs and mids. I will tell you this, when I play live, I bust through the mix like a freight train. no matter who im playing with or what their playing, I bust through the mix. as someone said here previously, one mans garbage is another mans gold. its all about what kind of music you play and what your looking for. for me the JB is divine. its a tone machine built for the tunes and style I play. for others, its about as useful as a glass of water to a drowning man. find your tone and stick with it. thats why they make SO many different models.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by h.e.l.shane View Post
                  its different than an Alt-8
                  :think:

I thought the A8 IS a JB, just with an Alnico 8 magnet (or I'm mistaken with the Crazy 8)?
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I don't know man. I've never had an issue with the Duncan JB and I have it in four guitars(2 are USA Select KV2's). I've never noticed it being loose or flubby on the bottom end and a lot of guys have said that in this thread. I think this has something to do with personal sound tastes and amp adjustments in my opinion. My guitars that have JB's have killer tight bottom end and really nice mids with a perfect blend of highs to complement the other two. The only Duncan pick up I like more is the Screamin Demon but hey to each their own.
                    Last edited by leftykingv2; 11-16-2013, 02:04 PM.

Comment

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                        I was wondering when you were gonna start posting this again.
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                          Very sensitive to height adjustment, too. I've found you really need to inch them up very close to the strings to get a good tone.
                          I've noticed this with a lot of pickups and thought it was normal. I like a really "hot" type of sound.
                          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
                          X