No announcement yet.

San Dimas RR1 w/EMG's wired 3x's and still a hum!!! Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I decided to keep the EMG's in but wanted to take it all apart and start from scratch. I removed everything and started from the input jack and up. I followed this diagram to the "T" and to my surprise........ It still freaking hums!!!!
    http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/2%2...tone%203wt.pdf

I am at a loss for words on this one. I can not imagine that on 2 sets of pots, 2 input jack, 2 different 9v connectors, 3 different toggle switches and 6 total strip and resolder attempts between 2 different people that it still has the same issue. All my connections show good on the meter. It hums with or without the bridge ground connected though slightly louder without it.

In the words from Cinderella....."Somebody Saaaaa aave Me" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm at a loss bro. I have no clue!
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Reaching big time, but could the metal pick guard be providing some conductance between the pots and switch? I know the pots are grounded anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
          Reaching big time, but could the metal pick guard be providing some conductance between the pots and switch? I know the pots are grounded anyway...
          It's not reaching at all. I was wondering about the pick guard myself. I stare at the guitar and just wonder how in the world I am still having an issue. I mean there is only so many connections and variables. I feel like an idiot on this one.

Anybody have any pics of a RR1 string through control cavity? Do you have a body ground lugs in your pickup cavities?...... Maybe I am missing a wire somewhere or something.

Comment

...in which case lift the ground on one of the pots and see if that one is as bad, because as we all know, the easiest way to stop a hum loop is to lift one end.
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
              ...in which case lift the ground on one of the pots and see if that one is as bad, because as we all know, the easiest way to stop a hum loop is to lift one end.
              Did it but no change.

Comment

Email Rick at EMG and see if he can help.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Email Rick at EMG and see if he can help.
                  I actually spoke with Rick on Friday and he is stumped as well. He suggested sending the pickups in but I told him that it did the same thing with my Blackouts so he quickly ruled that out.

Comment

I had the same issue with my RR3 until I changed to the Blackouts that are in it now. Seems to be the switch and sharing grounds with both pickups it seems. Does it stop when you touch the control cover?
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                      I had the same issue with my RR3 until I changed to the Blackouts that are in it now. Seems to be the switch and sharing grounds with both pickups it seems. Does it stop when you touch the control cover?
                      Yeah it calms down a bit when I touch anything metal on it

Comment

Have you changed the selector switch? Also try isolating the cover plate by putting something non-conductive between the plate and the pots and switch. Sounds like it may be grounding to the cover plate.
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

shouldnt the hot of the pickups go to one side of the pot then the center lug go to the toggle? it looks like youre going for individual vol control then to toggle then out.

edit- its hard for me to see (im on my phone atm) but it appears that the red wire coming from the toggle(which im assuming is hot out to the jack) may be touching the plate which would cause the hot and ground to touch.
                          Last edited by jdr94; 10-20-2013, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Yes I am trying to have it set up as 2 volumes only.

I have since rewired it several times so it's not exactly as pictured. it is as EMG suggests
                            http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/pdf/2%2...tone%203wt.pdf

Comment

im not saying the diagram is wrong but ive never wired a pot that way. i learned it was always one side is in, the opposite side is grounded and the middle is out. only thing i can suggest is get a regular toggle and double check the wiring to the jack.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                                im not saying the diagram is wrong but ive never wired a pot that way. i learned it was always one side is in, the opposite side is grounded and the middle is out. only thing i can suggest is get a regular toggle and double check the wiring to the jack.
                                I just tried wiring that way and no change. I tried 2 other toggles as well...... lol... I am beyond stumped

I do appreciate everyones comments. I know at some point this can be figured out. If not........ up on the block she goes!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X