Neck pocket shimming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gerryl98 View Post
    What am I missing here? Shimming the neck will actually lower the action, right? Isn't that the opposite if what you're trying to achieve?
    You're right. I'm so used to people asking how to get lower action with a shim

Originally posted by Chad View Post
    Shimming the neck on the body end of the pocket will require the bridge/trem to be set higher to reach the same action height as prior to the shim. This also raises the strings higher off the body, which is what the OP wants to accomplish. I've done this with recessed trems before to get the bridge height more similar to a non-recessed. Works like a charm.
    However, this is also correct.

Shimming the front of the pocket will leave the bridge and the strings the current off-body height, but drastically increase action off the frets (for those who want to keep the bridge close to the body but want more fight from the neck). Shimming the rear of the pocket will, as Chad said, allow you to keep the same fret action while increasing the off-body height.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
    X