One hum sounds different...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by straycat View Post
    Why then can a plywood bodied guitar sound so good sometimes?
    Some old Hondo bolt on neck Les Paul copies with plywood bodies sound fantastic tell me why that is?
    Wood snobs really get me.Alder is better than cheap ass basswood........well no it isn't.
    You can spout all the so called expert consensus you want if a guitar sounds good it sounds good no matter what the body is made of.
    Different woods may change the overall tone to some degree but that doesn't always make it a good sounding guitar.
    Scott Grove makes some valid points and when he actually proves his point it pisses the know it all cork sniffers off.
    I'd imagine that a POS guitar in the hands of a qualified musician will still sound passable as a lot of tone comes from your hands, and you may want to figure in amps and effects as influences. Wood absolutely 100% makes a difference on how your guitar sounds and resonates and FEELS which is also a big part of playing your favorite guitar. Next time you're next to a bunch of guitars, some high end and some low, just hold them up and knock on the body. You will hear they sound different and usually the higher end ones will sound more full as musical for lack of a better word. The really cheap ones will sound like a door on a cheap hourly motel you'd take a hooker to. They can still be fun, but they aren't your castle.

Different woods have different tonal qualities as different musicians have different tones and what they think sounds nice is different. You may just have an ear for plywood. You're right that "good" isn't the same to everybody, like a "good" amp. Some people like solid state.. :barf.. and some people think Kirk Hammett has nice vibrato... However, to say the wood doesn't matter or affect tone and sustain is inexcusable for a musician to say.

Comment

You can take the best components and materials and have the best craftsmen build you a guitar, but you can find some beat up old piece of shit that plays and sounds better, if you're lucky or look hard enough.

Materials and components do play a major role in building a quality instrument. Building one that plays well? It either does or doesn't... and sometimes, no matter how much work you put into a lemon, there's a chance it's still gonna be a lemon.

Everyone takes all this shit way too seriously.
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        If Eric can hear a difference more power to him.He will even tilt a pedal on the board because he thinks it sounds better and maybe he is right IDK.
        The Les Paul forum is a gaggle of ass kissers to whoever owns a 59 burst or actually knows Jimmy Page.LOL
        My Les Paul forum is just as bad IMO.
        I'm sure some from here are at those forums but I can give them a pass because they love Jacksons and are long time JCF bro's and gals.
        Gee, thanks

Actually, I'm here a lot more because I love heavy metal and Jacksons are the ultimate heavy metal guitars.

Comment

Actually, I find it easier to do pinched harmonics with 2 humbuckers rather than 1. Regardless of whether the guy is right, I'm not gonna heighten the action either. I tried that and my middle finger calus (sp?) looks like a fucking bunion. I shit you not.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Everyone's ears are different so if people hear things that inspire them, more power to 'em. I know personally that if the tone is not right, I do not play my best. I have to feel like the tone connects me to the guitar and to the music. I can't explain it any better.

To that end, depending on what volume you're playing at, you will hear things differently. Certain nuisances are lost when you're too quiet and when you're too loud, the later because your hearing gets blasted out.

Comment

Tru Dat.

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
              Everyone's ears are different so if people hear things that inspire them, more power to 'em. I know personally that if the tone is not right, I do not play my best. I have to feel like the tone connects me to the guitar and to the music. I can't explain it any better.

To that end, depending on what volume you're playing at, you will hear things differently. Certain nuisances are lost when you're too quiet and when you're too loud, the later because your hearing gets blasted out.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Spina Tap´s lead guitaris Nigel Tufnel sayed, that your face imperssion effects also on your sound. A fact from Guitar world if i remember right.
                Jackson Randy Rhoads Pro 2015
                Jackson "Phobia" King-V
                BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth
                SG Mutt "Swamp Thing"

BC Rich Warlock One Bass

Orange Micro Terror
                Laney TF300
                Randall 1X8

PERKELE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                  Certain nuisances are lost when you're too quiet and when you're too loud, the later because your hearing gets blasted out.
                  The word you're looking for is nuances. Though, that could be a nuisance.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    I find that usually it's being loud is more of a nuisance. Mostly to neighbors, wives etc...... Those who the subtle nuances may be lost on anyway.

Comment

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Spellcheck strikes again.

Comment

Working...
                        X