on board pre amp vs. boost pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vector View Post
    Warlok- the BMP-1 colors the tone of the pick-up extensively. The lows end up sounding like mush and while the mids and highs are OKAY, they're not enhanced in any sense of the word. Additionally, if you put the BMP-1 with an already high output passive like the Custom, it's gonna be a hot, feedback-laden mess. This is based on amp and effects settings designed around my passive- equipped axes. I've got those dialed in to the exact place I want them and am not likely gonna fuck with those.

The benefit of the pre amp is, in my experience, that it makes various techniques effortless- the guitar's responsiveness is excellent. Harmonics both artificial and natural, are stupid simple to achieve, sustain is increased to near-sustainer level. As a result, whammy-ing is more pronounced. Hammer ons, pull offs both happen with greater ease.
    If I had one complaint about the Custom, it's that it loses power on the upper frets. Sustain just isn't there. FOr that, I could see where a preamp/boost would be great to have, but on the whole I have no problems coaxing pinch harmonics from one.
    Then again, I count Chris Holmes as an influence, so I know a thing or two about pinch harmonics
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I see what you mean now. I read some other peoples reviews after I posted about the BMP-1 and the concensus seems to be that it does color tone and doesn't work well with high output pickups. Good to know..

jdr-94 - did you notice any coloration with the PA2? I've had a PA2 and an AB before but never used either. Interested to hear how you like it.

vector - keep this updated as you move forward if you don't mind. I'd like to hear how it turns out for you..
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Check out an LM386. It's a very easy IC to put into and axe, just take a few extra components. No coloration, just a db boost (adjustable).

Comment

I changed out the EMG-HZ's in my afterburner equipped DKMGT, to a Duncan Full Shred and Pearly Gates and it works great with both pickups. That said I almost never use it, mostly because I don't use that guitar that much though. I do have 2 pedals that I use for clean boost.

For a transparent clean boost, I like this pedal...

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/mc401-boostline-driver

I have used it in front of the amp, but I actually bought it specifically for a clean volume boost to use in the loop for a solo boost. If I wanted to add some tweakability in to the mix, I would look at...

http://www.tcelectronic.com/spark-booster/

It throws gain, volume, and active tone into the equation and the mode switch lets you add further low and mid boosts at it as well.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post

jdr-94 - did you notice any coloration with the PA2? I've had a PA2 and an AB before but never used either. Interested to hear how you like .
            sorry for the delay. im not gettin all my notifications. i didnt notice any coloration to a point which is why i have it set low. i like it alot and i dont have to worry about switching it on/off cause i leave it on all the time. im not a fan of the ab cause u kinda have to cut it on and adjust in a split second. the pa2 is set it and be done with it. switch on/off as needed(if u mount it)

edit- the short answer is, i always used emgs/blackouts and now i wont buy another active emg/blackout cause to me this gives me the response i love about actives but with the ability to swap pickups and achieve a new "active" tone.
            Last edited by jdr94; 08-01-2013, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Honestly find a Wylde overdrive or a bad monkey. They seem to just boost and dont color the sound much. I love my bad monkey and probably wont ever sell it.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Ive got the AB, which is actually the push pull pot version. Check out this thread I made a few years ago. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/107...t=the+overload
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Heres pics of it seeing how the links in the OP arent correct anymore.

No drilling on your guitar required.
                  HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
                  X