No announcement yet.

Quick painting/stencil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spray bomb enamel is formulated for very generic application. It is loaded with all kinds of stuff to eliminate fish eyes that has a tendency to keep the material soft. I always suggest a thumbnail test. Try it on somewhere it won't be noticed. I have yet to see an enamel finish come through my shop I could not sink my thumb nail into and peel it off. The more enamel you put on, the worse it gets. I suppose one could consider Krylon an acceptable finish for a back yard rebel painter. But what I have seen come into my shop, being passed off as a "killer enamel finish" was an utter disappointment in regards to durability. Lacquer on the other hand, is a better alternative for many reasons. Film thickness, dry time, ability to buff, easier to drop fill repair and blend. People use Spray enamel out of convenience, no other reason from what I have seen.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
      It's more to do with enamel curing much slower than lacquer and "crossing the streams" so to speak. It's generally best and safest to finish with what you started with (with a few exceptions). For example, you can shoot lacquer over cured urethane.

Sully
      Couple variables when trying to spray lacquer over enamel, like Sully mentions, it has to be thoroughly cured. Another thing, if the enamel film thickness is thick, and you think it is cured, be careful. Light coats of lacquer. But in my 30 some years of working with paint, this is something I would not try just based upon simple chemistry. I do not like to press my luck with this stuff personally.
      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Cool, Learn something new everyday. I'll make sure to start and finish with lacquer next time.

I usually do my finger nail test around the strap button holes where the button will cover it anyway.
        Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
        2007 Jackson DK2M
        1983 Kramer Pacer Special
        2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
        2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Working...
        X