No announcement yet.

stiff strings that are hard to bend on my DK2M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love it when you try to help people solve a problem and they think you are full of it.LOL
    They have no clue as to why they are having a problem but ask the question and still don't believe you when you give an answer.
    After 20 years as a guitar tech I think I know a thing or two maybe 3.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      I love it when you try to help people solve a problem and they think you are full of it.LOL
      They have no clue as to why they are having a problem but ask the question and still don't believe you when you give an answer.
      After 20 years as a guitar tech I think I know a thing or two maybe 3.
      Nahhh...You're full of it! Experience and intellect count for nothing in this day and age. Internet warriors rule!

I just find it amazing, or despair really, that some guitars can actually be so badly set up that even in your wildest dreams you'd never second guess stuff like this, unless...unless of course, you saw it everyday and realised that, actually, it's not that uncommon and people generally are pretty stupid with their bodgings.

But WTF would someone want pin back a Floyd that tight? Maybe to stop any float at all? Seems completely nuts to me.

I prefer 10's tuned E standard these days, as I reckon they do sound fuller. Don't have a problem with bends or bleeding fingers, unless I've been working with lime mortar that day, but I do have a problem with intonation issues down by the headstock with jumbo frets. Think it's a sensitivity thing and I'm not very.

Never really much notice the difference in spring tension either, although prefer to have at least three springs and a floating floyd, as I do notice when the floyd starts unintentionally trilling when you play hard with less or lighter springs.

For better tone, I suggest immersing your hands in a 90% hydrated lime solution, then taking a bath for an hour, this way the bone will make better contact with the strings. Is it true Chris Holmes used to have a cheesgrator mounted on the back side of his yellow star? That guy is so fucking hardcore.
      Last edited by ginsambo; 04-04-2013, 12:32 PM.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        The reason the strings feel that way is there is too much tension on the claw screws or too many springs.
        3 springs is fine but you will need to make some adjustments to the floyd to sit level with the top of the guitar.
        This. Though, I'm one of those guys that prefers the stiffer feel of a Floyd with 4 or 5 springs.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
        X