Lock-it guitar straps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock-it guitar straps?

I've been looking at buying a decent locking strap for my bengal dk2m. I was going to go with the Dimarzio locking straps, since I don't like bulky strap buttons, but I found Lock-it Strap when I was browsing. I thought I might try something different and they seem to get good reviews.

Heres their site

Has anyone used these? I was thinking about throwing one in my cart for my next Amazon purchase.
    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Instead of starting another thread, I'll add a little to this one.

I want to buy an inexpensive multi fx pedal that has decent distortion, cleans, chorus, delay and an expression pedal that has volume and wah control. I'm not going to be using this live. My Digitech GNX4 is going tits up. Most of the footswitch's wont work and the power cable is making the sound cut on/off. The power cables are $60, I should know, since this is the second one I bought. I rather just buy another multi fx...

I just need a new multi fx pedal for playing in the room and practicing. I'm going to be using it threw a SWR L.A 1x15 (:think bass amp, which sounds really good when using it with my GNX4. I was thinking about buying one under the $100 range. Ones I've been thinking about are the Zoom G1XN and the Digitech RP90, since they have good deals on Amazon.

Anyone have tips?

Comment

Instead of locking straps, why not just get some locking strap buttons and a good quality leather strap instead? If i were you i would have trashed the GNX aeons ago. Personally i hate multi FX pedals and would avoid anything with the word "ZOOM" on it like the plague but i've heard good things about the Line 6 POD HD 500... but it ain't $100.

Also, i can't imagine how your guitar sounds through a bass combo with a 15" speaker. :think:
      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
        Also, i can't imagine how your guitar sounds through a bass combo with a 15" speaker. :think:
        You can play guitar through a bass speaker with no problems... it'll just sound a little warmer/darker. I've done it before, and it sounds fine.

Never heard of those Lock-It guitar straps, but they do look interesting.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Actually the GNX4 sounds fantastic through the bass amp. I just turn up the treble and mids and lower the bass. I was thinking of ditching the GNX4 on Ebay for parts/as is, because it doesn't allow me to switch banks or effects and the power cable is tweaked.

I just need something that will give me decent distortion and cleans with some basic effects like chorus and delay. If I can find a nice practice amp that has decent sounding amp modeling I might consider that too. Like I said, I'm not gigging with this, I just need something to get me practicing and playing at home. I like to switch between cleans and distortion in the same song...

Comment

If you want to use strap locks, I suggest the Schaller. You can get extra bits for the rest of your guitars for relatively cheap, and they positively won't fail.

Avoid the Dunlop straplocks, they fail and you never know when, which is the worst time for them to fial...
            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Xeno, while I've used both Schaller and Dunlop, I haven't used the Dunlop ones long enough to experience them fail. How exactly do they fail? As for the Schallers, then a problem I have with them is that the nut may loosen over time and then all of a sudden, your strap comes off.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                Xeno, while I've used both Schaller and Dunlop, I haven't used the Dunlop ones long enough to experience them fail. How exactly do they fail? As for the Schallers, then a problem I have with them is that the nut may loosen over time and then all of a sudden, your strap comes off.
                I've had that happen with Grover straplocks. Having your guitar take a dive to the floor headstock first during a rehearsal is a harrowing experience. Avoid.
                I've never had any problems with the Schallers nor the Dunlops but then again, like you said i haven't had them for long enough either. However, these look very interesting: http://www.loxxusa.com/
                It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

There have been a couple threads discussing Dunlop vs Schaller. The bearing in Dunlops can take a dump causing it to fail. The Schaller nut is the weakest link of that brand. Others said they correct that issue with some thread lock. I just crank em down with a couple crescent wrenches and they don't come loose on me.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

The Dunlops just wear out, and when they wear out they can still appear to lock fine until they choose to fail. So one day you'll insert it, it'll be holding fine then all of a sudden your guitar will drop. You'll think it's because you didn't make sure they were secured. Then they'll work fine when you test them. And they'll work for a little while longer and then randomly decide to fail again. I had two sets purchased from different places over a year apart. They both failed in the same way.

My $2k Warwick custom bass took a dive and cracked the headstock after they had already failed once, but I tested them after the first fail which I managed to grab before it hit the ground and they seemed to be working fine. The time I cracked my headstock, I inserted the strap lock and made sure it was secure and it still decided to give up for no real reason at all.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I don't like the look of the bulky strap locks. I was going to go with Dimarzio clip-locks, because they are low profile and look cool IMO, but I saw these Lock-It straps and since I like to try new things I was wondering if these would work good. I like that I could just take the strap on and off without modifying my guitar, but if they don't work good then their kind of pointless.

How about an inexpensive multi-fx or practice amp? Does anyone use or know about one that has decent distortion and cleans for practicing close to the $100 range?

Comment

If you're going to use Dunlop, get the Dual Design model. Put the strap over it like you would any other non-locking strap button, then use the locking part on top without attaching it to the strap... just put some foam between the locking part instead of putting it on the strap. It's essentially the same as using a washer over your strap.
                        20130208_140832.jpg
                        20130208_141009.jpg
                        20130208_141039.jpg
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                          I just crank em down with a couple crescent wrenches and they don't come loose on me.
                          Yep. Used Schallers for over 25 years, never had an issue.
                          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                          Sully Guitars on Facebook
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                            Yep. Used Schallers for over 25 years, never had an issue.
                            Same here. Tried others but always came back to the Schallers.
                            My Toys:
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                            '94 Dinky HX in Black
                            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Hmm, interesting, thanks for the input. The thing about tightening the nut on the Schallers is that it may ruin the strap. But probably that depends on what kind of strap you use. I have the flushmount Dunlop ones installed in my V-shaped guitars, and I find that the body is in better balance than with the Schallers.

Comment

Working...
                              X