Schaller swap for OFR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schaller swap for OFR?

I recently bought a Charvel Predator, but the previous owner changed the Schaller trem for a JT6, so I want to upgrade this thing, as the JT6 doesn't really fit into the cavity that well..I do have an OFR available, but I've read somewhere that you might get some intonation issues with this swap, and also issues with the intonation screws beint too long for the route. Is there a possibility of changing the screws and saddles for Schaller ones, or is anybody aware of any aftermarket parts aimed directly for this issue?
    Sorry if this has been discussed earlier, I tried to search this topic..
    My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

i don't have a predator but i've swapped out c/j trems for ofr trems before. intonation should be fine, just have to adjust it. i didn't have to swap the saddle screws on mine but i suppose theoretically one could use shorter schaller screws in the ofr trm--they're interchangeable in size. i wouldn't change the saddles though (definitely not after market cheap saddles). ofr saddles are harder steel than the schaller ones.there was a recent thread about this.

Comment

If it's a recessed route, you will have issues with the string lock screws.
      No, you cannot swap them out with Schaller screws and saddles. They won't fit in the slots on the OFR base plate. (Schaller screws are too fat)

I have heard of people shortening the OFR string lock screws before. Pretty easy to do if you have the proper die to rethread the cut ends.
      -Rick

Comment

You can buy Schaller baseplate and those shorter Schaller type string lock down screws and change them to your OFR.

Comment

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone going Schaller/ofr type to a JT6. That's backwards. I'm planning on putting a schaller on my M6 when i can track down a gold one for not 200 bucks.

Comment

I'd track down a Schaller or a JT590 instead of the OFR and save yourself a lot of heartache.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
              I don't think I've ever heard of anyone going Schaller/ofr type to a JT6. That's backwards. I'm planning on putting a schaller on my M6 when i can track down a gold one for not 200 bucks.
              I got the Pred off Ebay, and I didn't do my research well enough - so my guess is that one of the previous owners probably kept the Schaller and put a JT6 in before he sold the guitar to the shop I got it from..It's either that or that I got what is a guitar pieced together from parts..
              I really don't mind, been wanting a Pred for ages, and I got it for cheap, and I have the time to get the correct parts anyway..
              My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Working...
              X