Battle of the Floyds: Gotoh vs. Schaller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NotP,

That first diagram is of an Edge Lo-Pro, not an original Edge. Both are great though. I would have either of them over an OFR, Schaller or Gotoh. They always feel like they're under less tension and "wangier" ( ). Gotohs are a close second TBH.

I've never played the newer Edge Zero models though but I hated the ZR they bought out with the roller posts instead of the pivot posts. Blah! Felt like crap.

Only criticism of Edges I can think of is that the metal that the saddles and base plate are made out of are pretty soft and if you have nasty sweat like I do, you can eat into them pretty quick. I bubbled the chrome on my first JEM within 6 weeks (and I cleaned it every night), got a replacement sent to me under warranty and my sweat did exactly the same thing to it.

Good thing is that you can pick up an original Edge from eBay that came from the Indonesian factory pretty cheaply and fairly regularly. I got a chrome one for around $US150 a year or so ago and it was brand new, with the posts and lock nut. It's chrome doesn't match the cosmo black on the guitar but who cares?

The pop in arms rule too! Hence replacing my OFR arms with the new pop in ones!
    Last edited by shramiac; 06-15-2016, 10:29 PM.
    www.vvforums.com

Comment

I know, I couldn't find an Edge Original schematic but I linked the Lo-Pro Edge schematic anyway because it showed the "block lock" I was trying to illustrate.
      Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 03-23-2017, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I still prefer the old German OFR's
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I thought the Ibanez Edge trems were made by Takeuchi, not Gotoh?

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
            I thought the Ibanez Edge trems were made by Takeuchi, not Gotoh?

The cheap ass TRS ones are Takeuchi.

The Edge models are Gotohs.

I don't know who made the hit and miss Edge III though, sorry.
            www.vvforums.com

Comment

Comment

Is it going to be a direct replacement for a 475 with a JT-590?
                Creating a Guitar Telegram Group (in English) Guitar Telegram Group

Comment

Your Charvel 475 has a shorter trem recess route to accommodate the shorter string lock screws of the JT590. The Gotoh Floyd looks to have longer screws like a normal OFR. See the below photo where an OFR is installed on a guitar routed for a JT590. Notice the screws protrude beyond the trem recess route.

Comment

Get the Gotoh and have the locking screws shortened to fit the guitar.

Comment

Can the shorter locking screws of the JT590 be reused on an OFR and Gotoh? You'd have the best of both worlds: The majority of the bridge would be OFR/Gotoh, but with the shorter JT590 screws.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                        Can the shorter locking screws of the JT590 be reused on an OFR and Gotoh? You'd have the best of both worlds: The majority of the bridge would be OFR/Gotoh, but with the shorter JT590 screws.

this would be perfect
                        Creating a Guitar Telegram Group (in English) Guitar Telegram Group

Comment

Hi guys, I just got a Gotoh floyd for my SL3X, but the arm bushing is too long, not allowing the floyd to be fully pulled up. Does Anyone knows how to remove it so I can put one from an FR?

Comment

Hi.

Does anyone know if the OFR-manufactured heavy duty (red) and black (noiseless) springs fit on the Gotoh?

And to take advantage of the Gotoh "improved" stud and stud inserts, larger holes would have to be drilled into the guitar body ?

Another reason the OFR might be considered a win over the Gotoh is all the "upgrade" parts available - all kinds of blocks and arms made from different materials, brass parts, titanium parts, trem stoppers, springs, claws...

The typical "hot rod" Floyd stuff - I guess none will on the gotoh

Did you mention if the string lock blocks are interchangeable?

thanks

Comment

Also, if larger holes would have to be drilled into the guitar body fot the Gotoh studs, and you want to go back to an OFR, would the Gototh posts work with the OFR?

Comment

For those guitars that were made specifically with the OFR and Schaller, going to a larger post anchor might not be feasible. The shelf that they sink the studs into are often routed specifically for the OFR-sized anchors and don't leave much, if any room for anything larger. Not that you can't use a Gotoh Floyd with OFR or Schaller studs but if you're a purist and don't like to mix and match, you're pretty much hosed.

Comment

Working...
                                X