Battle of the Floyds: Gotoh vs. Schaller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vector View Post
    For those guitars that were made specifically with the OFR and Schaller, going to a larger post anchor might not be feasible. The shelf that they sink the studs into are often routed specifically for the OFR-sized anchors and don't leave much, if any room for anything larger. Not that you can't use a Gotoh Floyd with OFR or Schaller studs but if you're a purist and don't like to mix and match, you're pretty much hosed.
    Just looking at the reasons to go to Gotoh, it has an oversize STUD -- compared to OFR (not talking about Schaller at all) that goes into the wood, it looks bigger and deeper.
    From a structural standpoint (also like when discussing baseplates) a larger, deeper STUD, and a more finely-threaded, deeper, (and snug fitting) post that threads into the stud, are going to be the best solution. Now, that may not give the best tone quality..but should give more years of service.

Unless it interferes with the rout, I don't see why you couldn't drill larger holes and use them.

BUT, would you be able to go back to an OFR, keeping the Gotoh studs and posts ?

ALSO,
    And are the posts pivot points type of steel hardened in the same way, and of the same quality as OFR?

I think this was overlooked in the whole thread, and is very important.

Especially if it is difficult to find spare/new parts as discussed.

That post needs to maintain it's original shape and integrity.

AND

Also it was mentioned as a plus that the Gotoh has only one circular knife edge while the other appears to be straight.
    While this may feel fine in practice, it can't be as accurate as two circular knife edges like OFR.
    The two circular knife edges serve not just as pivot points, but also hold the trem in place against the posts.

I would imagine that the Gotoh would wear quicker and be less stable -- as the flat pivot edge moves ever so slightly side to side -- and therefore would more likely to require fine tuner adjustments..

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jeff9beck View Post
      Hi.

Does anyone know if the OFR-manufactured heavy duty (red) and black (noiseless) springs fit on the Gotoh?

And to take advantage of the Gotoh "improved" stud and stud inserts, larger holes would have to be drilled into the guitar body ?

Another reason the OFR might be considered a win over the Gotoh is all the "upgrade" parts available - all kinds of blocks and arms made from different materials, brass parts, titanium parts, trem stoppers, springs, claws...

The typical "hot rod" Floyd stuff - I guess none will on the gotoh

Did you mention if the string lock blocks are interchangeable?

thanks
      I have an FU Tone brass block on one of my Gotohs
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Just looking at the reasons to go to Gotoh, it has an oversize STUD -- compared to OFR (not talking about Schaller at all) that goes into the wood, it looks bigger and deeper.
        From a structural standpoint (also like when discussing baseplates) a larger, deeper STUD, and a more finely-threaded, deeper, (and snug fitting) post that threads into the stud, are going to be the best solution. Now, that may not give the best tone quality..but should give more years of service.

Unless it interferes with the rout, I don't see why you couldn't drill larger holes and use them.

BUT, would you be able to go back to an OFR, keeping the Gotoh studs and posts ?

ALSO,
        And are the posts pivot points type of steel hardened in the same way, and of the same quality as OFR?

I think this was overlooked in the whole thread, and is very important.

Especially if it is difficult to find spare/new parts as discussed.

That post needs to maintain it's original shape and integrity.

AND

Also it was mentioned as a plus that the Gotoh has only one circular knife edge while the other appears to be straight.
        While this may feel fine in practice, it can't be as accurate as two circular knife edges like OFR.
        The two circular knife edges serve not just as pivot points, but also hold the trem in place against the posts.

I would imagine that the Gotoh would wear quicker and be less stable -- as the flat pivot edge moves ever so slightly side to side -- and therefore would more likely to require fine tuner adjustments..

thanks
        Schaller manufatures the OFR and most of their parts are interchangeable including the studs.

Again, I have guitars (photos later) where the rout for the trem (recessed floating) is such that there is insufficient wood to drill for bigger studs. The stud would risk breaking thru the rear wall of the shelf or be awfully close to it and risk compromising the structural integrity.

Not sure what you mean by "accurate". The actual point of contact between the knife edge and post is rather tiny and curved or straight, that doesn't change. ASFAIK, the trem doesn't shift from side to side unless force is applied in that direction. Remember- you have two forces, the springs and strings, pulling the trem forward, holding them in place. The one curved edge would be sufficient to mitigate any side-to-side movement if it did, in fact, occur. Having a straight edge merely allows for a modicum of variance re: post spacing. Spacing becomes an issue w/ the OFR or similar curved knife edges if the posts are placed too wide or too narrow to one another. Binding occurs and the freedom and range of motion can be impacted.

FYI- the Ibanez Edge also features one straight knife edge. That design has been used since '86.
        Last edited by vector; 11-21-2016, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Only if you correctly space them so the Floyd will index on both studs. The Gotoh only needs one post to index.

Japanese hardened steel vs German hardened steel? lol Japanese steel is the best in the world.

You're imagining things. It only needs one post to index off of.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Does anyone know if the OFR-manufactured heavy duty (red) and black (noiseless) springs fit on the Gotoh?
            They should fit any trem block. The only thing that makes the red springs heavy duty is the fact that they're cut shorter than normal so they'll pull your trem back further and you won't have to use as many springs as you normally would, or you'll just have to loosen the claw a lot more.
            Cut any regular spring shorter and you'll get the same "heavy duty" result. I know this because I bought a set not that long ago for use on my G&L.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well thanks for the answers, it sounds like the Gotoh is well-loved and superior to the OFR in every way.

Comment

Well thanks for the answers, it sounds like the Gotoh is well-loved and superior to the OFR in every way.
                Not in my book. For me, it's OFR all the way.

Comment

xenophobe, just wanted to alert you that your photos in this thread no longer display. This thread is my go-to resource for the Gotoh GE1996T especially after I now own one of these fine tremolo systems and realize first-hand everything you've documented so well here.
                  Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 03-24-2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                    xenophobe, just wanted to alert you that your photos in this thread no longer display. This thread is my go-to resource for the Gotoh GE19996T especially after I now own one of these fine tremolo systems and realize first-hand everything you've documented so well here.
                    Yeah, I know. Imageshack was being a bitch and started pay-only service. I backed up all the photos and will update this thread sometime in the next few days. It'll be back up.

Comment

• No worries and no rush.

New tremolo I came across: CSL (Coherent Sound in Light) Sophia tremolos: http://cslsophia.com/

Comment

• Oh god that CLS guy is a doucebag.

Comment

• Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                          Oh god that CLS guy is a doucebag.
                          Thats a bit harsh.

Yeah he's a bit of a mad inventor, definitely passionate about his product, but a douchebag?

lets be thankful he's dedicating his engineering skills to to musical instruments instead of clocks or vending machines
                          Last edited by Julz; 04-02-2017, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Julz View Post
                            Thats a bit harsh.

Yeah he's a bit of a mad inventor, definitely passionate about his product, but a douchebag?

lets be thankful he's dedicating his engineering skills to to musical instruments instead of clocks or vending machines
                            Harsh? LOL He's a bit too proud of himself. I've been following him on FB for 2 years now.

Feel free to buy a trem from him.

Comment

• Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                              Harsh? LOL He's a bit too proud of himself. I've been following him on FB for 2 years now.

Feel free to buy a trem from him.
                              I probably would if I was in the market for a bridge. I'd also be pretty proud if a company like Ibanez thought my design was good enough to pay a licence fee to use it. As long as he backs up his product claims with excellent customer support then good luck to him.

Comment

• this is very intresting

Comment

Working...
                                X