Floyd Rose Problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cullenszoo View Post
    on the other hand, you might want to ensure the neck is bolted on tight, (if its a bolt on).
    hell, even if its not a bolt on neck, drive a few bolts in there just for good measure. get the ol' dewalt out and drive a few lag bolts right into that neck meets body area to stiffen things up.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

He said it's an SL2H, so I doubt the neck-through neck is moving in it's pocket or has loose screw guys.
      That's an interesting find...I wonder if they all do this? I don't have any Floyd-ed guitars anymore to check with....
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Yep, I couldn't remember if it was a bolt on or not and was in a hurry to head to work.
        I use very light gauge strings and have 2 springs on my DK2M. if I lay it flat on my lap and tune it, or on a bench and then hold it in playing position it will be flat by almost a 1/4 tone. Id say higher tension setups would notice it less.
        Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
        2007 Jackson DK2M
        1983 Kramer Pacer Special
        2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
        2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
          Ive noticed this happens on most guitars. Its the effects of gravity pushing down on the neck... it doesnt take much to make it go a bit flat or sharp, especially considering how much tension is already on the neck.
          ^ this.

It's really noticeable if you only have 2 springs, it's nearly nonexistent (but still observable on a tuner) with 3. If it really bothers you add an extra spring or a trem-setter.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Just tested this, my 3 spring SL2H does it a bit. My 5 spring RR24 hardly does it all. Seems to be a complete non-issue.

Comment

It really is a non-issue because you tune in playing position, and you play in playing position. If you want to lie on your back and pretend you're Marty McFly in Back to the Future, then yes, if you desire stable tuning, you might not find it.

Comment

Aww man that's one of my signature moves!

Comment

Just to be a little more technical I'm pretty sure the effect of gravity on the neck isn't the problem as the effect of gravity on the bridge. I'll bet some of those after market big trem blocks pull kinda hard.
                  Thought I'd throw that in there since the tread is starting to unravel. Shift+R improves the quality of this image.
                  Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                  2007 Jackson DK2M
                  1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                  2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                  2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Ive always assumed it was on the neck, though Ill have to try it out on a hard tail and see what happens!
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

This isn't normal, especially with a high quality guitar with an OFR.

I would loosen all the strings remove the springs from the block and the claw and re-insert them. They might be slipping or something. While you are at it I would also get a new set of strings and replace them. If resetting everything doesn't help I'm kind of at a loss here. :think:

Comment

Nothing to worry about, it's a non-issue as the others have already said. Mine do this as well. It's not much, but it's still noticeable.

There's a reason to why you should tune and intonate your guitar in playing position.
                        https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Originally posted by cullenszoo View Post
                          Just to be a little more technical I'm pretty sure the effect of gravity on the neck isn't the problem as the effect of gravity on the bridge.
                          All someone needs to do is grab a hardtail to find out.

Comment

Interesting thread. I just grabbed the nearest 4 guitars and tested them, and here's what I got when I checked each one by hitting the low E and rotating face up and face down without supporting the neck:

USA pointy Charvel w/ OFR (3 springs): goes 8 cents sharp when face up, 20 cents flat when face down

Model 6 (neckthrough) w/ OFR (3 springs): goes 10 cents sharp when face up, 20 cents flat face down

USA pointy Charvel w/ Kahler trem: stays perfectly in tune when face up, goes about 15 cents flat face down

Model 7: bolt-on with tele-style hardtail trem: stays perfectly in tune face up, goes about 15 cents flat face down

My conclusion is that there is a gravity effect on the neck causing any guitar to go flat when face down (which is accentuated on a floyded guitar), and something specific to to floyded guitars (probably gravity effect on the sustain block or the whole trem) that makes them go sharp when face up.

-edit- got out my only v-trem to check it, late-'90s PRS w/ set neck, 4 springs on the trem: 5 cents sharp face up, 18 flat face down
                            Last edited by dg; 08-22-2012, 02:38 PM.

Comment

I have nothing to add here
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Gravity and guitars...hmmmmm....:think:

:idea:Oh yeah !! I've seen many Gibson players "shake" or wobble there guitars to get a wobbling, worble effect. It's cool!

Now , let's talk gravity and puds ...or tits perhaps.

My pud is a few cents sharp when I raise my lower torso.
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X