Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues with connecting a MIJ So Cal body and USA San Dimas neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Sully. I'll see how things move along...

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
      Nope!

neck is well seated and all screws and well installed.

The angle however is BEYOND high now! This floyd would sit like an inch of the body....

Re route the neck pocket?
      This is really odd. The MIJ neck pocket would have had the same neck angle for a MIJ neck as a MIA neck. I wonder how it would have worked with the MIJ neck?

You could do a shim at the front of the neck pocket for a reverse neck angle. Might be a good idea to try it that way first to see if you like it.

I've free-hand routed a neck angle before. (Back then didn't know about the router bit Sully found). Takes a steady hand. I had a lot more balls when I was younger LOL!

Comment

I agree that it's odd!

My other stock MIJ So Cal has a standard angle and this one with the US neck has the OFR sitting stupid high.

It would take a hell of a front shim to get it normal though.

Comment

Are you doubly sure its seated properly, I mean often those end corners of the heel right down low are a pain in the ass to sand out wider and they'll stop it seating by just enough to throw it completely out of whack, even though it looks to be ok from the side. Its happened to me. I use a bit of sandpaper on a round chisel, going in at an angle to scrape it out in short strokes. You only really need good contact between neck and body on the flat bottom of the neck anyhow. If you are jamming it in there, it is a recipe for a good poly laquer crack soon enough when things start to move with the weather.

Only reason I say this is cause I've measured all my USA and Jap Charvel Styles and Pro Mods and the neck are all the same depth. If anything, the USA neck are 0.2mm deeper, although an odd dreamsicle is also 0.2mm deeper. But no way it would cause a problem. We are talking tiny distances.

If you are truely convinced the only other thing I can think of is where you got the body from? Was it assembled or is it a reject?

Put a long piece of flat card flush on the top of the body and measure the bottom of the neck to the card on the underside of the neck joint, right where it meets the body. It should be around 1.6mm. Or just compare measurements to your other one.
          Last edited by ginsambo; 07-22-2012, 07:39 AM.
          You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
            I agree that it's odd!

My other stock MIJ So Cal has a standard angle and this one with the US neck has the OFR sitting stupid high.

It would take a hell of a front shim to get it normal though.
            One of the good things that came out of routing is that I "sunk" the neck deeper into the pocket. I don't know what impact that might have on the tone, but this guitar sounds very good. It was my first guitar, and Aria Pro II. I'll keep it forever.

Comment

Working...
            X