No announcement yet.

Packing guitar for shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's where I'm at right now. I need to crumple more newspaper for the sides and top. Voids inside the case have been filled with bubble wrap. I don't think the guitar will be moving at all. Nothing in the headsatock area, cased wrapped in bubble wrap. Am I going overboard? :think:

Comment

You can never go overboard. Pack the shit out of it and dummy proof it, because there will be dummies handling it unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by rdamaral View Post
        You can never go overboard. Pack the shit out of it and dummy proof it, because there will be dummies handling it unfortunately.
        You absolutely CAN go overboard and increase the likeliness of extensive damage by doing so. As mentioned, pack around the body so it can't move in its case (which he's done), then pack the box so the case can't move inside the box. Easy peasy.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
          You absolutely CAN go overboard and increase the likeliness of extensive damage by doing so. As mentioned, pack around the body so it can't move in its case (which he's done), then pack the box so the case can't move inside the box.
          Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what you do not want to do is overpack the outer box such that the case is under pressure by the outer packing material. If it was, any outer force will be transferred directly to the case, potentially causing damage.

I believe you want the outer box filled enough so the case won't shift but it would be able to absorb any outer force.
          Sheesh, I hate packing guitars!
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

We're on the same page.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm with Sully on this. If wood takes a hit or falls it vibrated to expel the energy absorbed from the impact. If it can't vibrate it will explode. Aka headstock snaps , neck joint loosens fingerboard separates. Etc.
              Gil

Comment

Okay, thanks for the input fellas. It was slightly bulging on the sides from the newspaper, which intuitively didn't seem right. I pulled everything out and started over. I think I packed it with enough padding where the case shouldn't move. Now I can only pray that it arrives in one piece.

Comment

It arrived safely to it's destination, I just forgot to mention it. It's in the hands of Mike Learn and it should be getting some paint real soon Thanks again for everyone's input, sending that guitar in the mail regardless of all that packaging was nerve racking.

Comment

That was the most stressful part of having Mike work on my Charvel. Add international borders and duties on to the formula and there's just so many points of failure for a giant clusterfuck.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                    X