No announcement yet.

Floyd Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it might have been a bunch of hooey, but I agree, I think the big brass block makes a difference, in a good way. The only thing I noticed is that after installing it(I put in a larger block), I can't bomb as far, but I don't do it very often and the bomb is enough to make the lower strings floppy, so no complaints.

Comment

They are OK, sort of a mixed bag IMHO. That pullup range issue can really overshadow the benefits. I had to pull one off one of my strats because of that. In fairness I didn't try cranking up the neck angle a bit, maybe I could have gotten another half step out of it. Too late now.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
        Mike, do you have yours set to float? What gauge strings? How many springs? Tuning?
        I do. Mine float on 9 Heavy gauge. I tune half step down.

Most of the time, I modify my recess in the back of the guitar to compensate for pull back.
        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

So, with the the big block, can you do the trem flutter (or as I call it, warble) Not that it's a keystone to my technique but I want it to be there if I want to use it. It also indicates that the trem is in perfect balance, which allows me to do a host of other trem antics like the ones at about 2:15 in the vid...
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj_ArKTxEkE

Comment

I have a big Kick ass brass block the our own axmann milled out for me installed in my Bolted steel warrior, it is floating in standard tuning, I can dive, pull up and flutter the shit out of it without any issue. it's great.

MOSHON
            DAVE
            "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I have OFRs, and I go crazy with them! All of them...silly, crazy stuff!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I wanted to get one, but most of my guitars have non recessed floyds and the extra width of the block seems to make contact with the 'lip' on the face of the guitar. If that makes sense?
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Floyd Rose enabled me to make sounds that never should be heard from a guitar.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    Floyd Rose enabled me to make sounds that never should be heard from a guitar.
                    Fuck yeah- a well set up Floyd is the tits!

Comment

Originally posted by neilli View Post
                      I wanted to get one, but most of my guitars have non recessed floyds and the extra width of the block seems to make contact with the 'lip' on the face of the guitar. If that makes sense?
                      From what I've read, that's a common issue. Often the trem cavity has to be routed a bit more to allow for the full range of trem motion.

Comment

It doesn't fuggin' matter. Once ya set one up to parr..just add talent.

Is everyone just doin' expensive, continous mods in an attempt to suck less? I say ..yes!

Comment

Is everyone just doin' expensive, continous mods in an attempt to suck less? I say ..yes!
                          Talent? What the f*ck is THAT?
                          Nah, the continuous mods are an attempt to keep myself busy & to keep from buying another, more expensive ax I don't have the talent to play well, in the first place...

Comment

Mass produced blocks generally are made one size. Usualy a standard bar stock size for width and length ,then only cut to height (FU). Trem cav's vary alot. If it's made right, they fit and function correctly..

Comment

You say that like it's a bad thing
                              My other signature says something funny

Comment

Working...
                              X