Removing plastic dot inlay problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That, is a nice job.
    I dig abalone for inlays. More guitar manufacturers should offer them as a stock option because on some necks, especially rosewood & ebony, they look much more appealing to me.

Comment

Very nice! Has a Jake E. Lee vibe to it.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
        That, is a nice job.
        I dig abalone for inlays. More guitar manufacturers should offer them as a stock option because on some necks, especially rosewood & ebony, they look much more appealing to me.
        +1!!! Awesome job!!!
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Man thats awesome. makes me wanna try black dots on a rosewood board.

Comment

Yeah buddy, it does look very nice! If you do plan on making the swap, I would pay particular attention to the rounding out of the back of the dot inlay. The better job you do there, the better the inlay will seat to the FB. It will also make it near to flush and there will be less scraping to be done. Also depending on the shell type the more you scrape the more figuring you may loose. I noticed this on one of the inlays on the 12th fret. It required a lot of scraping to get flush with the board and it lost most of the figuring that was originally there. You will definitely go through many razor blade tape changes. I had about 8 i would rotate through before changing the tape on all of them. Take your time and it will go fine. I was nervous about tapping in the inlay with a hammer and the back end of the hole punch but I never had an issue with a broken inlay. Watch the video a few times take some notes and have at it. I did skip using the Old English Scratch Cover to polish the frets. I used a few drops of The Fret Dr. instead for the polishing. I would say the whole process took me about 5 hours. The majority of it was spent scraping. I had most of the materials with the exception of the 3000 grit sandpaper, razor blades and the whip tips for the medium viscosity glue. Not an expensive upgrade by any means.
            Last edited by Sharkfin; 06-11-2012, 12:09 PM.

Comment

I can't see why manufacturers wouldn't offer that as a stock option either. It can't really set them back by too much, it may take a little extra time to level with the board, which would need to be done regardless of the inlay material.

Comment

Cost. It all adds up.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Nice job.Inlays look nice too.
                  I've done quite a few dot upgrades and that video is right on the money.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                  X