No announcement yet.

problems with pinch harmonics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get so many guitars in here that have the pick ups damn near touching the strings and when I ask the customer why they say it gives them more power LOL
    When I explain how the pick up works they understand.
    EMG's yeah they need to be as close as you can get with out the strings touching I'll give you that.I have a model 5A with an EMG 85 and it sounds awful with the pick up too close so I backed it down a lot and it sounds really good now.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I think the issue for me is the area is different and I'm noticing I'm picking/fretting/vibratoing much harder than needed on the charvel. I guess I'm so used to the Les Paul I just play the charvel the same way. I noticed when I lay back, things in general sound better. A lighter touch, etc. Just feels weird to be learning this stuff all over again...ya know?

Makes me wonder tho, if I raise the height, then maybe I can play harder as the strings don't jangle on the frets, etc...I have to admit, you can get the strings REAL low on the charvel...like insane.
      Last edited by alphadog808; 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Raise the floyd up and see how that works out for you.
        I play L.P.'s a lot too so I know exactly how you feel.
        I traded for a camo parts mutt and it had the same issue I swapped out for a floyd nut, raised it just a bit and raised the floyd and get harmonics all over the neck now.
        Really a comfy guitar now.
        Last edited by straycat; 04-18-2012, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Charvel/Jackson are known for the necks/fretwork. Most find them second to none, so low action is definitely quite possible. As for lighter touch, things sound cleaner, but heavy rhythms and aggressive soloing demand a harder attack. Knowing how to change your sound using pick dynamics alone makes you a much better player. EVH and Randy are both insanely good at this

Comment

I'm a light touch player and find most guitars if set up right for me harmonics are easy to get.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
              Raise the floyd up and see how that works out for you.
              I play L.P.'s a lot too so I know exactly how you feel.
              I traded for a camo parts mutt and it had the same issue I swapped out for a floyd nut, raised it just a bit and raised the floyd and get harmonics all over the neck now.
              Really a comfy guitar now.
              I don't usually like camo'd guitars...but that is nice!! It was funny, I kept telling the tech to raise the action and he was kinda shocked that I kept wanting it higher and higher. I guess since they are know for their action, it seemed weird to be negating one of their best features...

Comment

Working...
              X