9s, 10s, or beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used to be 9's on everything.

Over the years as I improved, I started breaking a lot of strings.

So I switched to 10-52's and never looked back.

I just bought an OEM (D'Addario) 144 set bulk package...so I guess I'm 'set' for awhile.
    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

I went to 10s about 20 years ago and stayed there. Last year I was in a band that tunned to drop C and the 10s did not stay in tune well, so I went to 12's. I liked how they sounded, but bending them was lame. Im not in that band and we play half step down so I went back to 10s and love them. Another thing was when I would play hard with the 12s on my string thrus, they would pop out of the saddle.Bah....
      H3LL IS HOME!!!

Comment

well from my little experience the 10s are not the ones to use if you would like to be playing rock n roll and heavy metalunless you are a rythm guitarist ......it makes it easier for you with 9s to go soloing and 10s feel like not that flexible causing pain at your fingers

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
          I use 9s on my 25 1/2 scales, 10s on my 24 3/4 scales.
          me too. Although I have 11s on my Model 1A tuned down a half-step.
          Originally posted by vampire dark View Post
          well from my little experience the 10s are not the ones to use if you would like to be playing rock n roll and heavy metalunless you are a rythm guitarist ......it makes it easier for you with 9s to go soloing and 10s feel like not that flexible causing pain at your fingers
          That's why I always have a guitar tech standing just off stage. When I switch from playing rhythm to lead, I hand off my guitar strung with 12s tuned down to G# and he hands me a guitar strung with 8s. As you can imagine, it gets REALLY busy on songs where I'm playing a lot of fills! I do the same thing with picks, because as EVERYONE knows, 3.0mm Stubbies are teh shit for lead playing, but I have to grab an .88 when I go back to rhythm playing. The tech just tucks the appropriate pick under the strings of each guitar as he hands them to me.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
            I use 10's on all my floyds. l dig the feel and tone. TBH though, I actually think floyds work best with 9's. l'm sure others will beg to differ but.....thats what l have found and l have only ever played gits with floyds.....
            +1. All my guits are Floyd-ed and all but 2 are tuned down to D #. I use 9's on all of 'em except a project RR Ex. That has 9's with a 52 for the E and sounds heavy as shit.
            FWIW- playing style and tonal preference dictate which string gauge to go with.

Comment

Guitarist magazine has a running feature on string gauges. On the back of an interview with Billy Gibbons (who revealed he uses 8s) 3 writers have changed from their regular string gauge to something different. None of them decided to make a permanent change to a new gauge - most of us are creatures of habit (I have always use 9s). But having said that I'm thinking of setting up an old Ibanez up with 11s and tuning down a whole step as an experiment.

Comment

I started using 9's in the old days then moved to 10's when i joined a group that plays in e flat. Now I use 11's in e flat and love it. Took a while to get used to it but I love the stiffer feel and think it helps alternate picking.

Now I use 11's on everything despite the tuning: Jacksons, Teles, Grestches, etc. Never got into the bigger gauge=better tone thing but like the feel.

Patt

Comment

I always had 10s on my Strat. And 9s on my Jackson.
                  I use the Strat to play classical and blues. The Jackson for the heavier stuff.
                  I decided to try a set of my 9s on the Strat.
                  I ended up still satisfied with the tone and have decided to keep them.
                  --------------------------------
                  1996 Fender Stratocaster - Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex
                  2006 Jackson Soloist SL3
                  Ampeg SS-140C
                  Line 6 Spider IV

Comment

Thanks for the input guys...I'm still not 100% sure the strings are 10s or 9s, but they really feel like the 10s I have on the Gibson...but I've been wrong before...Besides the possible tone change, I'm just kinda worried I'll get so used to 9s that when I got back to the lps, I'll hate the 10s...?

Also, kinda surprised that some guys here said that going to 9s made their tone chunkier. I always thought thicker was chunkier...maybe I've been looking at it wrong..

9 is the stock strings for the charvels, right?
                    Last edited by alphadog808; 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog808 View Post
                      Also, kinda surprised that some guys here said that going to 9s made their tone chunkier. I always thought thicker was chunkier...maybe I've been looking at it wrong..

9 is the stock strings for the charvels, right?
                      Jacksons and Charvels should come stock with 9s. I also believe the thicker the gauge, the thicker the tone. Also, with thinner gauge strings, the more buzzing you'll have than with thicker gauges.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Tite Fit 10-52 E Standard for any scale length. Also, the guitar does resonate better and intonate better with higher string tension. The light top heavy bottom thing is entirely preference though. I like it better.

Comment

Originally posted by Ward View Post
                          I use 9s on my 25 1/2 scales, 10s on my 24 3/4 scales.
                          I second this!
                          Last edited by themisfit138; 04-16-2012, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Unless you play really light, 9s are gonna be too floppy to get nice action. I was so glad switching to 10s on my ibanez

Comment

9'S on Floyd guitars, 10'S or thicker on fixed bridge deals...
                              Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
                              LTD EC401VF
                              Gibby Les Paul
                              Ibanez RG220D O Natural
                              Fender Parts Caster
                              Oranger Tiny Terror Head
                              2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
                              TU2 Tuner
                              Dunlop Cantrell Wah
                              Fulltone 70's Fuzz
                              Fulltone Distortion Pro1
                              Fulltone Mosfet 2
                              Fulltone OCD OD
                              Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

9's on a 25 1/2 and 10's on a Gibson/BC Rich/Fusion Scale x 3

...And five (New and tight) inline springs on the trem and a brass block.
                                You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
                                X