Mounting Stud Insert problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
    For sure the finish has a crack, I imagine the only way to know for sure if the wood is cracked is to remove the finish?
    You can also take off the adjacent pickup ring and take a peek in the cavity to see if the crack makes its way to there.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Interesting thread. I'm gonna guess the reason the insert is moving is due to the crack which I'm betting is deeper than the finish. even a hairline crack could give enough relief to wiggle that insert around. especially when using the trem. If it were me I would pull the insert and get as much epoxy in that cracked area without needing to refinish. then use epoxy to set the insert. left as is the crack will keep getting bigger.
      Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
      2007 Jackson DK2M
      1983 Kramer Pacer Special
      2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
      2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
        You can also take off the adjacent pickup ring and take a peek in the cavity to see if the crack makes its way to there.
        I took the bridge pickup out and checked in the cavity. I didn't see any cracks present, which is good news.

Comment

I replaced the posts on my old Gunslinger a year or two ago, and IIRC, the Floyd replacement inserts are slightly bigger in diameter than the original ones, so when they are replaced, it's a nice, snug fit.

Comment

I had some free time today and was able to remove the insert using the write up in the sticky (thanks rjohnstone). It worked like a charm but, now have a new paint chip. There doesn't appear to be any damage into the wood, so I'm relieved it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Sooo now I'm going to leave it as is until I decide what to do... maybe a refin is in order?

Comment

Well, with that visible crack in the original pic, that was bound to happen.

Water thin CA glue and a single edge razor blade to hold the chip in place.

Next, put scotch tape on the ends of the razor blade and scrape the excess dried CA glue. The tape will raise the razor ever so slightly so that it's not flush with the surface.
              Once the excess is scraped, sand gently with 1200, then buff it to a shine with a buffing compound and swirl remover. Fixed.

Sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Nah, a little white glue(elmers) will take care of that chip when you get the insert dealt with. You could always use the newspaper trick. use a small piece of newspaper to wrap the insert a little. It will help to snug it into place. then use a drop or two of elmers glue to fix that chip into place. since it drys clear it won't be a big blemish.
                Turn the volume to 10 and rip off the knob!

Currently Shredding:
                2007 Jackson DK2M
                1983 Kramer Pacer Special
                2013 Kramer 5150 Kit
                2000ish RR Knockoff refinish.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm gonna let the axe sit and marinate for a bit. I'm in no rush to get it fixed right now. Just to clarify though, I wasn't inferring that due to that damage a refin would be the solution. I do think I will eventually go that route, I just need to pull the trigger.

Comment

Working...
                  X