No announcement yet.

Dave Mustaine King V Custom Shop Order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I thought, but I was just too lazy to check out the specs in the catalogs.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

OK, here are the shapes which are in the Jackson Catalogs

-Classic -735-835 - thinnest
      -Dinky - 750-810
      -Speed - 775-835
      -Standard - 790-850 - thickest
      -PC1
      -Special (i suppose custom)

List of fretboard radii
      -7.25"
      -9"
      -12"
      Compounds
      -7.25 - 9.5
      -7.25-12
      -7.25-16
      -9.5-12
      -9.5-16
      -12-16

I wish I could try all of 'em but i've probably tried the speed w/ compund radius (probably, that guy at the store didnt have the spec sheet of the guitar)

if you could please try and explain the character of those you've tried, and yeah, which one did dave use ????

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
        A classic neck, as you put, is thinner than a speed neck. If you want the neck of a Jackson King V, go with a speed neck, that is what is on a KV2. Before placing the order, please try out some necks if you can.
        The only thing is, when Dave ordered his first Jacksons, many guitars were shipping with the "classic" profile.

Anyone have any idea when they named the "speed neck" moniker? I'm thinking late 80's but I have no idea.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

So, I think the neck should be classic profile compound 12-16 radius , Right
          Thanks Guys

Comment

Originally posted by Yash View Post
            So, I think the neck should be classic profile compound 12-16 radius , Right
            Thanks Guys
            Are you trying to duplicate the necks on Dave's early Jackson's? Remember, just because Dave played it, that doesn't mean it's right for you, go with the neck you feel is most comfortable.

Comment

yeah you're right richard
              I'm gonna try lots of stuff and come up with one of the best custom shop guitars ever

Comment

Originally posted by Yash View Post
                yeah you're right richard
                I'm gonna try lots of stuff and come up with one of the best custom shop guitars ever
                I look forward to seeing it. Good luck with your order Yash.

Comment

Yeah Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                    Are you trying to duplicate the necks on Dave's early Jackson's? Remember, just because Dave played it, that doesn't mean it's right for you, go with the neck you feel is most comfortable.
                    +1000. Dave has switched styles of guitars very often. His early guitars you are trying to replicate weren't really all that "custom" considering how Jackson was at the time. Remember, he played a stock 10-string Bich for a LONG time before getting his Jacksons, and his Jacksons were nothing like his Bich. If you've never played a Kahler bridge, I'd try that before settling on the 3300. They feel very different under the hand than a nice tune-o-matic, and you are actually losing sustain by going with it. LSRs look ugly as hell, but again, your custom, your preference. As for neck profile, the JS profiles and the USA profiles aren't the same. I've heard even the Japanese Jacksons are different than the USAs. Try to find a shop with USA Jacksons you can try. If you're ordering custom shop, whatever dealer you go through SHOULD have at least one. Speed neck is what the KVs have though, so find a KV2, that's the speed profile. KV2T is different, as is the RR1, and the Soloists I think.

Big bottom line here is that the only reason to literally replicate one of Dave's early guitars is as a sort-of memento collector piece. eBay'ing a beat-up KV1 or KV Pro would be a better idea here. Custom shop guitars cost a lot. If you like Mustaine's tone, then use his pickups in whatever custom shop you get built for you. That still won't make you sound like Mustaine though. He could play a Fender Jaguar through a Bluesbreaker combo and play an entire Megadeth set.

Comment

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
                      +1000. Dave has switched styles of guitars very often. His early guitars you are trying to replicate weren't really all that "custom" considering how Jackson was at the time. Remember, he played a stock 10-string Bich for a LONG time before getting his Jacksons, and his Jacksons were nothing like his Bich. If you've never played a Kahler bridge, I'd try that before settling on the 3300. They feel very different under the hand than a nice tune-o-matic, and you are actually losing sustain by going with it. LSRs look ugly as hell, but again, your custom, your preference. As for neck profile, the JS profiles and the USA profiles aren't the same. I've heard even the Japanese Jacksons are different than the USAs. Try to find a shop with USA Jacksons you can try. If you're ordering custom shop, whatever dealer you go through SHOULD have at least one. Speed neck is what the KVs have though, so find a KV2, that's the speed profile. KV2T is different, as is the RR1, and the Soloists I think.

Big bottom line here is that the only reason to literally replicate one of Dave's early guitars is as a sort-of memento collector piece. eBay'ing a beat-up KV1 or KV Pro would be a better idea here. Custom shop guitars cost a lot. If you like Mustaine's tone, then use his pickups in whatever custom shop you get built for you. That still won't make you sound like Mustaine though. He could play a Fender Jaguar through a Bluesbreaker combo and play an entire Megadeth set.
                      10 string ??? really ??? i think the bich was 6 string
                      And I CANNOT TRY A KAHLER OR A USA JACKSON coz i live in india, where the shopkeeper's think that a js series jackson is a great guitar and its pretty high end too !!! stupid fools, and they wont let me try it with a pick coz its too expensive
                      I'd be lookin at other shops too, so maybe i'll get a better feel, but trying a kahler or a USA Jackson is almost impossible, until I come to USA in July or june, and those chances are quite less

AND I WISH i could find a good ol beat up kv1 or kv pro........
                      and no i am not gettin a collector's piece.... I am a player... gettin it for playing the hell outta it and becoming a better guitarist
                      I've also thought up some tweaks for the guitar like coil split, killswitch, emg spc, emg pa-2, emg exg

Comment

check jcf classifieds and ebay for guitars. truthfully, i say get a black or silver kv2. screams mustaine, highly customizable, and even shipped to india will be less than half of a custom shop. then you can customize from there. floyds are better than kahlers anyway. if you get annoyd with it get an axcessories trem stopper. dirt cheap and only two screws to install

Comment

and his bich was a 10 string with the full active preamp. he usually only ran the standard 6 strings. it was natural. painted black around peace sells era. then he got his first jacksons

Comment

k, i'll check jcf classifields for kv1, but i cant customize here
                            and the lsr's look pretty cool to me, can you tell me about their stability ? and stuff

Comment

Originally posted by neptoess View Post
                              floyds are better than kahlers anyway.
                              True, but Dave's Kahlers were the fixed bridge versions, anyway.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Things like pickup swaps and making your floyd dive only are mods that can be done and/or reversed at any time. and a floyd set to dive only with the strings set rather taut will stay in tune better than the fixed bridge kahlers. those 6 way adjustable saddles never stay in one place like floyds locking saddles

Comment

Working...
                                X