Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ernie Ball Cobalt Strings: Anyone try these yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckbat View Post
    Richard W, are you talking about the DR coated? If so, in the past I used to break them on Floyded guitars all the time. Put on a set of EB or D'addario, no problem.
    Why would he be talking about DR coated strings when this thread is about EB Cobalts? The only one here talking about DR seems to be you.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Got me.
      Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
      LTD EC401VF
      Gibby Les Paul
      Ibanez RG220D O Natural
      Fender Parts Caster
      Oranger Tiny Terror Head
      2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
      TU2 Tuner
      Dunlop Cantrell Wah
      Fulltone 70's Fuzz
      Fulltone Distortion Pro1
      Fulltone Mosfet 2
      Fulltone OCD OD
      Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

Richard W, are you talking about the DR coated? If so, in the past I used to break them on Floyded guitars all the time. Put on a set of EB or D'addario, no problem.
        I was talking about the EB's, not the DR's.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
          I was talking about the EB's, not the DR's.
          sorry
          Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
          LTD EC401VF
          Gibby Les Paul
          Ibanez RG220D O Natural
          Fender Parts Caster
          Oranger Tiny Terror Head
          2) Orange PPC 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30
          TU2 Tuner
          Dunlop Cantrell Wah
          Fulltone 70's Fuzz
          Fulltone Distortion Pro1
          Fulltone Mosfet 2
          Fulltone OCD OD
          Fulltone Deja Vibe

Comment

I was saying Boo-urns.
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

sorry
              lol! It's cool man.

Comment

It's all good in the hood.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

FYI, I have currently strung up my strat with the hybrid set 9-46 and have 10-46 on my RR1T. So far so good, they are nice strings. I can't compare them to regular Ernie Balls because I've never used them but they compare very favorably to the DR Tite-fits I've been using so far.

I'll update with longevity feedback when I've had them on both guitars for a while. With the DR's I would get around 1-3 months before they'd become dead sounding, depending on amount of playing.

Output doesn't seem any higher really but they definitely sound different, a little brighter. They seem to hold tune really well after they've had their initial stretch out as well. So far they get one thumb up!
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I've got my 3 main gigging guitars strung up with Cobalt 9-46. I noticed a big difference in output and note separation,but oddly enough, ONLY in my Jackson with EMGs (81 bridge and 58 neck). My other Jackson has a SD Distortion in the bridge and '59 in the neck. I really haven't noticed a huge output difference, BUT harmonics are REALLY screamin' out of both these guitars. The other guitar that I use for shows is a Michael Dolsey Design MK strat with a Steve Lukather EMG set (85 bridge and 2 SA pickups). I'm not a huge fan of the cobalts on this guitar because it kinda makes it sound a little brittle and not buttery like I'm used to hearing it. I will more than likely go back to regular EBs at restringing time. The last thing I've noticed about the cobalts is that they seem to wear out a little quicker than the regular EBs, but I realize that may differ from player to player.

Comment

EB slinky 10s are my favorite strings. My son and I play very heavy handed, and hold up more than any string I've tried. They seem to have to "bite" to my ears, and allow me to really pinch and dig into them without breaking.

I haven't tried these but I willy to give 'em a go. I still have a few packs of EBs I bought years ago..so.

I like DRs..they're ok..but always break before their time. So I opt for EB. They just work best for me on all my geetars.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                      X