Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvels with no truss rod, how to adjust neck relief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Kramer clone has the wheel and I love it.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm guessing because Eddie VH probably has a stake in that as it was on his PV guitars. Maybe they needed permission or to work out an agreement?

Originally posted by hibby hippy View Post
      I wonder why they never used the wheel adjuster like on some of the custom shop guitars.Can it be something that could be done to the pro mods as a modification?

Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Is it a figured neck? Quarter sawn? Figured necks are notorious for being sensitive to humidty changes. My necks move every spring and every fall but I'm in the Northeast where it is more extreme. Quartersawn necks tend to be more stable because of the way the wood is taken from the log. They pay strict attention to the direction of the grain when they do it

Originally posted by titan7 View Post
        Thanks, i just figured that out. Wow, how hard is this to do? I have done truss rod adjustments on my Model series and other charvels (pointy stocks) but never had to take the neck off? How so I have to take strings and everything off? Wow, they just put way too much relief in this at the factory, my older charvel necks are dead on flat.
        Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

My necks typically move in the spring and fall too, so its not a huge issue to remove the neck twice a year to adjust, but its the principal. Its so damn stupid and archaic. I refuse to own one on that point alone. I would much rather own a warmoth mutt than a charvel just because of that truss rod thing. something SO simple and fundamental. I mean dammit, your $179 cheapie beginner guitars have frickin truss rod adjustments accessible on them.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

The wheel is a good idea. It's not the best looking, but it beats taking the neck off IMO.

The PC1 neck has the adjustment at the head, that's even better.

Comment

I'll take the neck off every guitar I own to adjust the truss rod if it means I avoid looking at that eyesore of a wheel and chunk taken out of the fretboard...
              My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

I'll take function over fashion any day, and that's a statement coming from a high maintenance bitch like me.

Comment

Wouldn't need a chunk out of it and a wheel if they'd just wise up and put the damn truss rod in like normal.
                  In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

so what happens when you need more rotation on the wheel but the tool is banging up against the neck like it's stuck between holes? BTW nice charvel, wha t color is that?
                    750XL Cherry Sunburst
                    375DX Metallic black
                    Model 2 blue
                    Model 2 Red
                    USA Candy Apple Red San Dimas
                    USA Slime Green San Dimas
                    MIJ ProMod Candy Blue San Dimas
                    Gibson Les Pauls
                    PRS SC-250

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyfromhell View Post
                      wouldn't need a chunk out of it and a wheel if they'd just wise up and put the damn truss rod in like normal.
                      tru dat.

Comment

They really should offer it on a produciton model. Such a simple and great feature. I have a Charvel for super-low tunings (drop Z - I exaggerate) with the bridge completely blocked. I had it modded by adding a wheel adjuster and access for it. The amount of wood taken out is miniscule. Won't affect your tone. It comes in handy when switching string gauges and tunings a lot.
                        None more black:

Comment

....bunch of pussies!

Comment

Adjust it once get it where ya want it then leave it. As long as the environment its kept in is stable u shouldnt have to make more adjustments unless u change string guage it tunings. I've had my stealth pro since 92. And uve adjusted the neck maybe 5 times total since I bought it. Yes its a headstock adjustment but my point stats the same.
                            Gil.

Comment

It is annoying, but I've got taking the neck off to adjust the truss rod down to under 5 minutes! What I do:

1) fold a paper towel until it's the size of a 9v battery, then dive the trem and shove the paper towel under it.
                              2) turn guitar over, and loosen the neck screws with electric screw driver until they clear the guitar neck
                              3) remove neck, adjust truss rod
                              4) put neck back into body, tighten screws, done!
                              Last edited by AndyK; 05-26-2012, 03:01 PM.
                              '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
                              '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
                              '98 PRS Custom 22
                              '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

I also wonder how things are gonna be in the long run
                                If you have to change relief twice a year (guess more for those playing out), what's gonna happen to the holes in the neck after 5-10 years?

...thinking about it, it might be ironically fitting to have every Jackson with the butt-adjustment have a Jenna Jameson graphic
                                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                                X