No announcement yet.

SL1 DiMarzio Pickup Suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see you got one coming but I actually am taking the ToneZone back out of my '93 Soloist Custom (pre SL1 designation) and putting the Super Distortion back in for the opposite reason you're looking for. Too much bottom end and I want it brighter, like the SD was.. If the one you got doesn't pan out, another recommendation for the TZ..
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
      Custom Custom seems to be all about midrange. So much that it makes it seem like there isn't much bass or treble. Like

any pickup, it's guitar dependent, but I didn't care for the Custom Custom in my ESP Horizon FR (maple neck-through/ash wings).
      Sounds right up my street then. think I'II get one...and a Crunch Lab and a Super 3 after reading about them on the Dimarzio site. So that'll be another three guitars then I should be requiring.

What pickups do you guys get when you use the pickup selector on the website? - Always comes up with a Superdistortion for me or SDS-1 for single coils...
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
        What pickups do you guys get when you use the pickup selector on the website? - Always comes up with a Superdistortion for me or SDS-1 for single coils...
        The Dimarzio site suggested an X2N and a D-Activator-X for me the two times I tried it. I tried both, and didn't like them. I got a guitar with a Super Distortion in it and loved it, so I put one in a second guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
          Custom Custom seems to be all about midrange. So much that it makes it seem like there isn't much bass or treble. Like any pickup, it's guitar dependent, but I didn't care for the Custom Custom in my ESP Horizon FR (maple neck-through/ash wings).
          And I absolutely love it in my ESP Horizon FR. Through my Marshall it totally nails classic Judas Priest tones. This is one of my BEST sounding and playing guitars. I don't think mine has ash wing being from 1988. Most likely maple (it's heavy) or poplar.

This is an old pic - it came with a Screamin Demon originally, and a free BKP Warpig in the case.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            And I absolutely love it in my ESP Horizon FR. Through my Marshall it totally nails classic Judas Priest tones. This is one of my BEST sounding and playing guitars. I don't think mine has ash wing being from 1988. Most likely maple (it's heavy) or poplar.

This is an old pic - it came with a Screamin Demon originally, and a free BKP Warpig in the case.

That's gorgeous.

I'll take the Warpig if you don't want it !
            I like EL34s.

Comment

The good thing about the Duncan Custom series is that they all have the same specs except for the magnet, so they can be converted to other pickups in the custom series with a mag swap. I converted my Custom Custom into a Custom 8 with an A8 magnet. I like that one fine. Throw in a ceramic and you've got a regular custom. Throw in an A5 and you have a Custom 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                That's gorgeous.

I'll take the Warpig if you don't want it !
                Warpig has been happy in an HM strat for 3 years now. I would never have paid the money that they want for BKP pickups, but I have to admit they do sound good. If it had sounded anything less than good it would have been sold for "stupid" money long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                  Sounds right up my street then. think I'II get one...and a Crunch Lab and a Super 3 after reading about them on the Dimarzio site. So that'll be another three guitars then I should be requiring.

That's what I have in my '93. SD and SDS-1. Love them both!
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Ok, the DP160 Norton is the shit!!!!! Just what I was looking for. Just the right bottom end, a little more than the JB, great mids that cut in nicely, and the highs are really great without the shrillness I used to get from the JB. Harmonics are excellent. The pickup has a real growl to it. It matched perfectly in my SL1. I finally found a DiMarzio humbucker I can bond with. Just a great pickup.
                    We will know for the first time...
                    If we are evil or divine...
                    We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

Originally posted by The Poolman View Post
                      Ok, the DP160 Norton is the shit!!!!! Just what I was looking for. Just the right bottom end, a little more than the JB, great mids that cut in nicely, and the highs are really great without the shrillness I used to get from the JB. Harmonics are excellent. The pickup has a real growl to it. It matched perfectly in my SL1. I finally found a DiMarzio humbucker I can bond with. Just a great pickup.
                      Cool. Good to know it worked out

Sounds like you'd dig a Mule from Bare Knuckle. Or a Holy Diver. Or even a Nailbomb.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

I was looking at a set of Holy Divers, but they are pricey up here.
                        We will know for the first time...
                        If we are evil or divine...
                        We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

Originally posted by The Poolman View Post
                          I was looking at a set of Holy Divers, but they are pricey up here.
                          Hey, I feel ya!
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                          X