Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ralph View Post
    :think: It's a 1/4sawn neck
    Like I said talking out of my ass on the assumption that wood is strongest when length goes with the grain. I have no idea how to identify a 1/4 sawn or flat sawn neck. If Im wrong, Im wrong, no harm done.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
      Like I said talking out of my ass on the assumption that wood is strongest when length goes with the grain. I have no idea how to identify a 1/4 sawn or flat sawn neck. If Im wrong, Im wrong, no harm done.
      Check this out:
      http://www.allwoodwork.com/article/w...uartersawn.htm

quarter-sawn or flat-sawn the grain still is in the same direction as the neck, however quarter-sawn the grain is all lined up, flat-sawn you could get anything, depending on where the growth-rings of the tree were compared to the saw

Comment

Maybe that neck is flamed then and thats not the actual grain then. Kind of hard to tell since its so far away in the pic.
        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Ok, so two months ago I tuned it to A=440 and hung it on the wall. I have not played or moved it or anything in 2 months.

I took it off the wall just before making this post.

The neck was slightly backbowed - just a hair beyond flat.

The strings were 2.5 steps higher in pitch than normal. The low E was reading halfway between G# and A.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Normal change due to weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
              I'm no expert by any means, but if the truss rod is completely slack, then it's not doing it's job in EITHER direction. I say tighten it until it's just snug, without actually inducing any backbow.
              Bingo
              Mitch
              AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Normal change due to weather.
                Actually for some reason we haven't had that drastic of a change in the weather here. It's been highs in the high-60/low-70 range, and the temp in the house has remained fairly constant.
                It also did it all last winter, and the summer before, and the winter before, and the summer before, going back to when I got it in 2008.

And I did leave the rod "just snug without inducing any backbow".
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                X