Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I use my new multimeter to diagnose a wiring problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sully View Post
    Wow, that's helpful.
    Where's your helpful input?

Here's mine:
    Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
    I'm gonna assume you suspect a bad/faulty wire. In which case, set the meter to continuity, touch one lead to one end of each wire, and the other on the other. It'll beep if there's continuity. If your meter doesn't have that function, then simply set it to ohms, lowest setting. A good connection will have 0, or close to it.
    Sully, I'd imagine you might feel the same way if a "luthier" was building a guitar for his "client", and asked something like, "How do I use this bandsaw to cut my body?"

The fact that it's a favor changes things, as I wouldn't dare charge somebody for something I'm incompetent in doing.

That said, hopefully you can reproduce the symptoms and diagnose the problem, and learn something in the process. Holla when you find the problem.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I thought your initial post was pretty helpful. Why not take the high road? I get a bunch of emails each day from people at various skill levels and have found that providing some insight while keeping it positive works for me. Yeah, I get questions that unfold and it becomes clear that the person asking for help appears to be in over their head, but I'm gonna do what I can to be encouraging; even if suggesting that they perhaps look into taking their project/repair/whatever to a tech, and ask to watch them do the repair.

Sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Well said Sully. Most of us got the knowledge we have now either by trial and error or by learning from other people's experience. Seems to me that's what this guy is trying to do here.
        In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

I agree with you Sully, and I hope you understand it wasn't my intention to ruffle any feathers.

And CFH, I agree as well, but my point was it's not appropriate to do so, on a paying customers guitar. Obviously now it's been clarified, so I retract my comment.
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

You know, Axe, I have to say, it takes a man to step up and admit a mistake like you did. My level of respect for you has definitely risen.
            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

No hard feelings here. All the shorts I've had in the past I've worked out the hard way, trial and error. Now I got a meter and don't know which position to put the switch on. Could have just spun the dial and went at it. But I figured I'd ask the helpful people of the JCF for some pointers and save myself a little time. This place is a wealth of knowledge on all levels. I've learned a lot from other's experience here and I've passed on a lot of my experience here.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Youtube should have a video demonstration of this. It's easier to watch and learn than to read and learn something like this...

Edit: Here's a vid--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6SqGcXYmLw
                Last edited by Trussrod; 01-25-2012, 06:28 PM.

Comment

If its the import one. Check the pots to see if they're loose. If so one may be touching the shielding paint. Turn pit so its not touching and tighten the nut. Also check the Jack for a bad connection or loose wire. Etc.
                  Gil

Comment

Working...
                  X