ANOTHER type of big block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
    OK, I always thought the whole big-block/brass-block thing was nothing but HYPE.

I recently bought a guitar with the big brass block and even...a heavy brass spring claw.

My first hand impression is that THESE DO MAKE A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE!!!! Right off the bat, acoustically it was much more defined , clear and sustainy.

Plugged in.....it was the same and now I'm a believer.

As always, your mileage may vary.
    Had the identical experience. Will be offering them as an option on guitar builds.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I can't speak for the claws or other parts, but I definitely notice a positive difference from the blocks. Varies guitar to guitar, but all my Floyds have them, and will in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
        I think it's all a crock. I bought and installed four FU brass blocks in four of my OFR equipped guitars. The difference is slight at best and whether it is good or bad is subjective to the listener. Plus, depending on how a guitar is routed it can reduce or eliminate pull up range. Tons of great tones and music were made before big brass blocks came along. IMO, it's just gear minutia thriving mostly because of talk on internet forums.
        I forgot to mention that when I installed the blocks in one guitar I did comparison A/B recordings. I played a rhythm part and a lead part with the OEM block. Then I took the guitar apart, installed the block, put the guitar back together and replicated the original setup, THEN I recorded myself playing the exact same parts. As mentioned, the difference was subtle at best and whether it was "better" or "worse" would be a subjective matter. I wish I had saved those recordings, but I didn't....I did them with a Boss RC20XL looper.

Anyway, if a person didn't do some sort of A/B test to measure the actual differences, then I have trouble putting much stock in what they say. Ear memory is just too short and psychological factors come into play as well.

Now, I was half-joking when I mentioned a brass guitar, but really where does it end? If brass blocks, claws, etc. make a guitar resonate, sustain, and sound so much better, then are we saying that brass is a better material for guitar construction? Does an OFR equipped guitar with all brass appointments sound better than a guitar without a trem? To get around the weight, a person could start drilling holes in various places in a wood guitar body, then insert brass in those holes.

Edit: Here is good info on aluminum guitars:

http://www.alumisonic.com/
        Last edited by Chad; 01-12-2012, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
          True, but (depending on what kind of brass, granted) it's harder than copper isn't it?
          Yes, brass is a compound formed from fusing copper and zinc. It's mostly copper though, generally about 66% copper to 34% zinc.
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

From the FU site:

"The FU Copper Big Block offers you a totally new tonal flavor that will have people scratching their heads trying to figure out what you are using… Just tell them: FU!"

Seriously? Like anybody is going to notice a difference outside of the player.

After a guitar God's performance a fan comes up and says...

"Wow, your tone was awesome tonight. Never mind your guitar, amp, P.A., sound technicians.......were you using a different big block in your Floyd tonight."

Adam is a cool guy, but that line is OVERHYPE to the max.

Comment

of course the more it costs the better it sounds.....

Comment

I've put brass blocks on 9 of my guitars so far. It does make a difference for me, my rig and my ears. With regard to concerns about how the bigger 1/2" thick blocks may restrict pulling the bar up... that is a concern with some guitars. for some of my Kramers and ESPs that have less room, I buy 3/8" blocks from ebay seller 'ebayguitarupgrades' (contact him first, as it's a custom build)... it's thicker than the stock FR block and it still allows room to pull up - when I've asked other on-line sellers about this, I've been told to just route out the cavity more... isn't that against the whole concept? lol! and who wants to route maple out of a $3500 ESP? lol!

Speaking of that same ebay seller ('ebayguitarupgrades'), he's already made copper blocks in the past and tells me they really are great. Not as easy to machine and there's not really been an interest in them... but they do sound good. He does titanium, as well. and he's also done one-off brass blocks for me at the same rate... other guys started at $100 for a single block. he's a good guy and from my experience with him, he gives a lot of attention to the details.

I agree with Chad, Adam is a cool guy, but there's a lot of hype behind him taking advantage of his existing association as a FR employee to get artist endorsements. if someone is using the 360 alloy bell brass, it's gonna do the same thing.

the brass spring claws are a really interesting area that is wide open. I have a few of them from different sources. they make a difference. another thing I do is replace the claw screws with brass screws. a slight difference and not for everyone, but I just like to tinker with the options to find the sweet spot that works for me and my tone.

I'd like to see more options for the saddle string blocks and the locking nuts.... the metals that actually clamp the strings in place.

Comment

Working...
                X