No announcement yet.

Painting a guitar body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Mike or Sully, have you guys used the Liquid Metal product on a guitar? I just saw a picture on the U Oregon helmets that they are wearing in their bowl game, and it instantly got some paint ideas percolating in me noggin!
    1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
    Jackson SLATQH
    Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
    Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
    Jackson DKMGT (project)
    Kramer Focus 1000
    Ibanez SDGR Bass
    Ovation Celebrity
    Martin Backpacker

Comment

Denny, I have used some products similar in the past. Alsa makes a chrome paint that is basically the same idea.
      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Never seen. Link!

Nevermind. Google. Holy crap. Awesome!

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I hear alot of guys going with laquer on refins. Let me ask a dumb question here..... isnt laquer the finishes that react with guitar stands and get all gummy?

I thought polyester or polyurethane finishes were the most durable? I know very little about this stuff, so I apologize if I asked an idiot question. I just thought since they use urethane finishes on cars they were super durable and would be a good choice for guitars too.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

When I use to paint cars a long time ago. lacquer was the way to go. It dried quickly and you can paint it any where in the garage that was clean and it looked good. Enamel paint sucks. It takes a long time to dry and it will stick every where and it did not look that good when it was done. Urethane is more durable and looks really good but you do need the right condition to paint it and a good mask for your face. I do not know anything about polyester or polyurethane. some one else would anwser that question for you.

Comment

I was just in Hobby Lobby tonight and saw Testors has a line of laquer paint rattle cans. Food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                I hear alot of guys going with laquer on refins. Let me ask a dumb question here..... isnt laquer the finishes that react with guitar stands and get all gummy?

I thought polyester or polyurethane finishes were the most durable? I know very little about this stuff, so I apologize if I asked an idiot question. I just thought since they use urethane finishes on cars they were super durable and would be a good choice for guitars too.
                Yep. Lacquer reacts with guitar stands. Checks, too. That said, it's pretty thin and some believe that it's a better finish for wood, as over time it will let the guitar breathe better than Poly.

Sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by metal4you View Post
                  When I use to paint cars a long time ago. lacquer was the way to go. It dried quickly and you can paint it any where in the garage that was clean and it looked good. Enamel paint sucks. It takes a long time to dry and it will stick every where and it did not look that good when it was done. Urethane is more durable and looks really good but you do need the right condition to paint it and a good mask for your face. I do not know anything about polyester or polyurethane. some one else would anwser that question for you.

Acrylic urethane and polyurethane are essentially the same. They both take a hardner containing iso's. the raw resin is what is diff.

A polyester clear is usually more durable on a guitar.

To rank..

1.polyester clear (but over a urethane clear and base, only for durability)
                  2. Poly urethane clear or single stage( durability wise u see it on boats, aircraft and industrial equipment)
                  3. Acrylic urethane clear (most automotive clears are comprised of an acrylic resin)

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRocks View Post
                    Hey Mike or Sully, have you guys used the Liquid Metal product on a guitar? I just saw a picture on the U Oregon helmets that they are wearing in their bowl game, and it instantly got some paint ideas percolating in me noggin!
                    If it's the ppg liquid metal, hok, alsa, and exotic all provide a better "chrome" look. But keep in mind no matter how hard u try, it will never look better then polished metal.

Comment

I am finally done with my project. Not the greatest job but it looks ok. It's my first time painting a guitar. I made some mistakes but I did not realize it until I was done.

Before and After

Comment

Tell us about the mistakes. It may help some like me in the future. We come here to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Tell us about the mistakes. It may help some like me in the future. We come here to learn.
                          I should have done a better job on sanding before I put on the clear coat. Miss some spots. also should have used 2 cans of clear. WTF maybe I will try it again.

Comment

Comment

Looks good. Im personally not a fan of the pickguard but I like the color choices

Comment

Always wanted to try a good old fashioned paint dipping system. But you need a bucket o paint.
                                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                                X