No announcement yet.

low action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, we try to be helpful around here. We have a few of us that are sarcastic at times, but it's all in fun. I haven't encountered any jerks, unless the jerkee (is that even a word?) deserved it.

Anyway, 5mm at the 12th fret does seem a little high to me. Nowhere near 1/2 inch, but still high. If you can't lower the Floyd down anymore without higher notes fretting out, then you likely need a fret level. It could possibly be a single high fret, or maybe it's even fretting out at the fallaway (the part of the fretboard after the body joint after the end of the trussrod.)

Do you know how to adjust your truss rod properly? You need to first start out with a perfectly straight neck, maybe with a small bit of relief.
    Then lower your Floyd a little, and retune. Be sure the Floyd base is still parallel to the body. You may have to adjust the Floyd springs in the back if it's not.
    Make a list of where your notes are fretting out. (Are they fretting out from 12th-on or only from 12th-14th for example.)
    Also check if the fretting out happens on all strings. Check every fret on every string.

Since you can't take pictures, document where the problem happens as above, as well as how high your action was for the test, and let us know the results.
    Last edited by DalyTek; 11-08-2011, 06:30 PM.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

or maybe it's even fretting out at the fallaway (the part of the fretboard after the body joint after the end of the trussrod.) How would you correct that? No Im not exactly sure of how adjust the truss that good. I do 1/4 turns or 1/8 and after check it and maybe let it sit for a hour and then check it again, but as far as the advanced stuff no Im really scared of screwing it up.

Comment

how do I get my guitar neck perfectly straight? How will I know its straight?

Comment

If you have a good eye, you can sight down the neck for a visual inspection, but that's not very accurate unless you know what you're looking for.
          Otherwise, capo the 1st fret (or have a helper hold down the low E string at the 1st fret) and then hold down the last fret on the low E string.
          This will let you use the string as a straight edge. Measure the height of the string off of the top of the fret wire (automotive feeler gauges work great for this) at about the 8th fret.
          Make sure to check it in playing position, not laying flat on it's back. Gravity can have an effect.
          I try to have it about .010" on mine, which is just a bit of relief. If it's too low, turn the truss rod a small bit counterclockwise to loosen it. If it's too high, turn it a little clockwise to tighten it.
          Retune, then re-check. Some guitars can take quite a while to react to a truss rod adjustment. Don't rush it, and be patient.
          DO NOT force the truss rod. If it doesn't want to turn, stop and take to a good tech. It is possible to break the truss rod by over-tightening it. Do the same for the high E string.

Get your truss rod set up right, then lower the Floyd and make notes of the fretting out.
          Last edited by DalyTek; 11-08-2011, 06:57 PM.
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

yeah I have about the same issue, on my So-Cal USA model, I stupidly put 11's on it in standard tuning (knew I would have to adjust it but I tried anyways before doing any tweeking with the guitar). Anyways, I did notice the changes the strings did, possibly bent the neck a bit, quite a bit of tension... but after putting 9's back on, the bridge (FR-1000 non-recessed) had to go much lower towards the body to get relatively at a safe distance to get 1.5mm of action from the 12th fret. Unfortunately, as I used the floyd, it was way too low to the body and the corner of the bridge chipped a piece of the top coat of the finish on the body... I was just fooling around that day but I don't go that low anymore with anymore when i use it, for obvious reason.... I still need to set the guitar up for the 9's, but I still want to put on the 11's in standard.

Comment

Hey, I'm a jerk! But, this is a great forum with the experience to run with the best of 'em !

Myself, I'm a metaloligist, and disabled Ron Jeremy stunt dubble. I severely hurt my neck during a scene gone wrong. The details are much too gruesome to elaborate on this or any other forum. Somehow some footage was leaked, and I'm aggressivly taking legal actions to cease any presentation of above scenes allegedly titled "Two holes one head"..

I've heard it was on constant loop on Al Jizzeera, and I'm somewhat of a celebrity in Pakistan..???

Oh, it sounds like your guitar needs a setup. That didn't happen. They threw new strings on and charged you up the geegee.

Welcome,

Bill
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
              X