Lack of sustain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
    I've noticed my SL2H has a lack of sustain on the B and high E strings from the 12th to the 19th frets or so. Sustain drops to about 3 seconds at the 15th fret on the B, and seems to be at the worst, around 1s, on the 18th fret, the F. I'm not sure it this is just a resonant deadspot on the guitar, or maybe a fret and/or trussrod issue.
    Sorry to hear that man. It really sucks to pay up to 2k for a hand made usa guitar and face some serious issues by the time. Similar things happened to me in the past. Have you found a solution? Let me know please.

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
      ...Jackson doesn't make real neck through guitars.
      That may be true, but even bolt-on Jacksons don't normally have this issue, so there goes your theory.
      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by CowboyFromHell View Post
        That may be true, but even bolt-on Jacksons don't normally have this issue, so there goes your theory.
        Axegrinder was making a little joke, based on some clown "discovering" that the neck piece of a RR1 doesn't extend from tip to bout. He blow torched his guitar just to expose this travesty. And then sulked off when he didn't get the outraged response he sought.

But y'know, that was back in the heady days of March '11. We've all moved on since then
        Hail yesterday

Comment

Damn NOOB strikes again!!!
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
            Damn NOOB strikes again!!!
            Bite me
            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Maybe check for a fret pulling out of the board? -Lou
              " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Also, this may be a stretch, but try flipping the B and E string block around on the locking nut and verify that the nut is not loose. I thought I read somewhere that someone had a similar problem and frets checked out okay. The string angle coming out of the nut was off and caused some oddities. It doesnt seem possible logically ,but, I thought someone had a well written explanation on how this happens. I am still thinking you may have a fret pulling up on the B and E side.-Lou
                " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

If you've raised the action a bit, and the strings sound fine open but not fretted, it is almost certainly a problem at either the nut or the saddle. A fret problem should be easy to rule out by an action adjustment.

Comment

Hey guys,
                    Thanks again for the input. I got the guitar pleked over the Christmas holidays, and had a brass sustain block installled. Ideally, I'd I've done this one at a time so I could determine the benefit of each separately.
                    Anyway, the problem is alleviated somewhat, but not entirely fixed. The action is as low as it was before, if not a touch lower, and I can pull up on the bar without it killing the notes. Sustain on the b string 15th fret is much better, but still not as much as I'd ideally like.
                    My other signature says something funny

Comment

Working...
                    X