No announcement yet.

DIY Fret Leveling Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I first got into re-fretting I looked at all the stew mac stuff and about crapped myself at the price of the tools got a crowning file $75.00 but well worth it.
    Cool story here too if you guys are into Bluegrass music I'm sure you have heard of Homer Ledford.He lived the next town over so I called him.
    He was so nice and asked what tools I had.He then told me he uses his fingers and sand paper!
    I went over to his house and was blown away at the shop in the basement all kinds of cool tools he made himself.
    He looked at the neck I re-fretted and said pretty good for a beginner but what do you see that needs work?
    I looked and he pointed out 7 or 8 things right off that I didn't do so he showed me how to use my finger and sandpaper to shape and crown the frets.Getting level is the main thing he said and working each fret by hand takes time and patience.He said never get in a hurry and you'll do fine just lots of practice.
    He showed me the two person dulcimer he was building and some fancy mandolins he was building as well.
    Homer was a Martin repair guy for over 50 years and such an icon in the bluegrass world working with Bill Monroe and the like.Played one hell of a saw too.
    Great guy and I miss him a lot.RIP Homer.
    Last edited by straycat; 11-09-2011, 01:34 AM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
    X