No announcement yet.

will 10 -52 strings in standard tuning warp kneck on guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Springs vary in tension/flexibility, so there aren't any set rules in this area. Just go with what works/feels/stays in tune best.

Comment

No, sounds like your tensions are pretty low, which is the deciding factor. Most of my axes are setup with 10, 13, 17, 32, 52, 60; tuned to Eb, hence the need for my extra springs.

I do have a Rhoads with a set of 11-70 tuned to C#, and I got away with only 1 extra spring, and it's a bit slinkier than my Eb rigs.

FYI, 70 is the MAX for the Jackson tuners, almost had to spit on it.
      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder87 View Post
        No, sounds like your tensions are pretty low, which is the deciding factor. Most of my axes are setup with 10, 13, 17, 32, 52, 60; tuned to Eb, hence the need for my extra springs.

I do have a Rhoads with a set of 11-70 tuned to C#, and I got away with only 1 extra spring, and it's a bit slinkier than my Eb rigs.

FYI, 70 is the MAX for the Jackson tuners, almost had to spit on it.
        Jesus, you must have more strength in your fingers than i have in my whole body.
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I will admit, the low strings are a little bit harder to fret, especially the first fret, but my right hand loves them too much to change.

And the old lady enjoys going to the movies more.....
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

...I gotta get me some heavier gauge strings.
            It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
            ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

changing gauges will typically require a setup one way or the other. it'll affect your intonation at the least. when I changed a standard-tuned guitar from 9s to 10s I had to add another spring to the FR, tweak the action the slightest bit and adjust the truss rod a bit. nothing severe with any of that. if there's a FR involved, the key is to re-check the process a few times until everything is perfect. if you have the time, an option could be to let the guitar set overnight to give the neck a chance to respond before setting it up.

as far as the springs, I typicaly go with 3 in the 'W" formation, depending on the feel... but always 3. I can get Eb with 9s or 10s (depending on the guitar) and I have one at D with 10s... all with 3. but when I tuned to standard E with 10s there was no more play in the claw screws, so I took it to 4. once again, totally a preference and what works best for you. gotta play around with the options to figure it out.

Comment

thanks for all the info once again everyone, today i put 10-52 Ernie Ball strings and gave it a nice setup also.. and wow they sound amazing on the jackson guitars... thanks to all who helped with info...
                Jackson RX10D
                Jackson JX10

Comment

I'm surprised you would know how to set up a guitar but not know that the string gauge wouldn't warp the neck. Warpage doesn't happen due to tension or the lack thereof. There are other reasons and if the neck is set up correctly and of reasonable quality, there is no reason to think that heavier tension will harm it.
                  "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                  Gotta get away from here.
                  Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                  Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

the reason is i had lots of people tell me they would warp a neck, i know hwo to set up but not good at tension etc... i have always set up for 9-42 strings.. my frist time going to these strings so wanted to make sure...
                    Jackson RX10D
                    Jackson JX10

Comment

Been using 10-52 tuned to 440 for the past 20 years on all my guitars and never ever had a problem.

Comment

All of my guitars have been strung with 13-56 (tuned down 1/2 step) for years with no issues. We tend to forget that the truss rod is a pretty heavy duty piece of steel in there.

Comment

Working...
                        X