No announcement yet.

HELP! - Single higher notes held above 12th fret goes strobe-like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wow dude I missed the part about 9s. Id put at least 10s on that bad boy and see if that fixes things
    I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

The Les Paul (it's a Chinese copy! not even a real Gibson) reference is just because that is the only other guitar I have for comparison, it could be a Sears guitar for all I care, but the point is, a second guitar ruled out a lot of possibilities.
      I did have 10's on it, hated playing 10's but yes half step down, I guess the rule is bigger strings but I don't remember heavier strings solving this problem. Yes it does it unplugged.

One thing I haven't tried is heavier strings with the pickups lowered,.. I'll try that and see.

I'm getting good responses on here, thanks for the help - yes I'm bummed about my Jackson but I wouldn't rule them out, I know they kick *ss!

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        I have had a few of the DK2's and never had that problem.
        The trem would not be the problem and no they aren't junk.I abuse the JT 580 trems all the time and never had one fail.
        Sounds like if it does it acoustically maybe you need to check the neck to see if the neck plate is tight.
        I did have one come in for a set up and had to replace the trem springs.The customer was complaining about the rattle it had and that can have sonic or warbling effect.
        I replaced the electronics too and that was a huge upgrade tone wise.
        This replacing electronics sounds interesting,.. you replaced it with what?
        Did you change anything other than brand, like a 500k with a 250k or rewire differently?
        More info please!

Comment

The two reasons i've ever had the problem that sounds like what you speak of were number one pickup height, and number two, worn frets.
          Changing string gauge fixed it - until the day the frets get worn too bad, but. Also if you have a lot of high frequency in your sound it exagerates it, you can notice it if you turn your tone knob down it seems to get a little better ( it masks it or whatever ).
          None of these issues for me were on a Jackson btw, it's not guitar brand specific.

If i were trouble shooting it myself, first check the strings struck open with medium force and look at how they oscillate, do they warble around all funky or do the have a nice smooth round pattern? It would be easier to tell on the wound strings. If they seem to be warbling, that is almost most likely because you pickups magnetic pull are pulling on them. If not and it's more only when notes are fretted and ruling out your frets aren't worn flat on the crown, i'd lower the pickups a little - and if it didn't fix it, i'd string it with a higher gauge strings on the affected strings at least, and recheck intonation. While doing that for good measure take a look at the lock nut under the strings see if it's grooved where the strings rest, and also take a look at the saddles on the bridge. And for more good measure i'd make sure i have at least 3 springs on my floyd if not 4 and that they are spaced normal and not a V pattern or whatever, just normal straight across and that they are all taught and seem normal. Less likely but possibly a stab, you could have a high fret somewhere that's not really buzzing, but when the string is vibrating it hits it just right and sort of adds a slight harmonic to it.

Also for got to add, try a different brand or type of strings all together, maybe you are using steelies i don't know,
          but all the different type of strings out there some are steel some are nickle plated, round wound, half round, bright wound, coated blah blah... Try a different brand or type.
          Last edited by Trem; 10-10-2011, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Yeah, could be a high fret. You might try cranking up the action high temporarily to see if the problem goes away. i.e. set the action high enough to clear a possible slightly high fret. If that's the problem, a fret dressing would be the fix.

Comment

Good points,... Frets don't have any wear that I can see, fairly new guitar, could be a high fret, String brand/type might be something. I'll crank the bridge up and test it. I might try new saddles and see. If not, different strings - running GHS Boomer 9's.
              Love these strings, they last forever with deep whammy bends and everything, played them for the last 20 + years! Played slinkys they break faster. OK, more testing, have to find this!

Comment

Sup?

Checked the saddle lock blocks for indents from tightening ? or the trem studs for wiggle?

MOSHON
                DAVE
                "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

HAs the intonation been set up? I've had issues like that and intonating made it go away. Another thing you can do is tune it higher and see if it goes away. It's kinda like running a bigger gauge string on it but you don't have to chaneg the strings. How close are the pickups to the strings? If you put them all the way down I don't see how they could be causing string pull.
                  It's pronounced soops

Comment

How about vibrations from the Floyd Rose Bar? Does the guitar do this with the bar taken off the Floyd Rose?

Comment

I heard Red Guitars don't do this so much. Try painting the guitar red...

Sorry, I'm in a funny mood today.

Comment

I have the pickups all the way down away from the strings and changed to a pure nickel strings, still running 9's but it is almost there. I guess taking out the two front pickups or changing them is the thing to do. Still hearing the stuttering in the decay of a held note. At least at this point the guitar would be playable except the sound sucks now,... too weak and hollow sounding. I think the Seymours singles have a trill to them that is not good for rock anways,... I aways like Dimarzios

Comment

It is RED!

Comment

Okay, first thing I'd do is take something like a napkin and fold it up then either slide it under the trem springs or put it above em and screw back on the plate that covers them so that they aren't allowed to freely vibrate. You need to be sure that the folded up napkin/papertowel etc is thick enough to press against the springs. I do this to all my floyd guitars. *

If you have someone else there you could also have them touch the trem springs while you play to see if the noise disappears.*

If that doesn't work look for loose bolts/screws etc including the bolts between the top of the tuners and neck head. be sure that the pots/switches aren't loose. pickups etc.*

Comment

could be stratitus. when pickups, pickup magnets overwhelm the strings response.
                              That is what it sounds like to me, no pun intended.
                              Alnico 2 or 5 magnetics would be better than ceramic types in a neck, middle position.
                              Less pull, defined articulation.
                              Some guitars just suffer from "ghost" situations that the owner can un resolve no matter what.
                              Example, static. I know and tech'd under Fender warranty, two strats that the owners would
                              build up a static charge on the pickguards. I and fender did everything to solve the issue.
                              One customer returned the strat, the other customer uses Cling free static dryer sheets.
                              to attempt to solve your annoyance, I suggest contracting a skilled tech that can go thru all possibilities,
                              scenarios with you and hopefully resolve the issue.

my 2 cents.

J
                              >^v^<

Comment

Raising the bridge will also pull the strings away from the pickups which will give a false result. Unless u raise the pups up the same distance away after raising the bridge. My educated guess is. Either pups, intonation, it a ghost harmonic from maybe a burr in the saddle or a high fret. Try covering the pickups with something to reduce the magnetic field and see if it still does it. Make sure the strings are seated properly in the saddles and are burr free. If u can post a pic if the bridge showing the saddles we nay be able to rule out intonation. I had this problem with a customers sting bass. The pup was just a touch too high. Dropping it a full turn of the screws solved the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X