No announcement yet.

Changing from 9's to 12's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can buy a set of 12-56, but what the heck is a 24p opposed to a 24?
    Last edited by wilkinsi; 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM.
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

P = plain as opposed to a wound. Some larger sets will have a wound third string which some people don't like.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It's all subjective and depends on the guitar. I generally don't go with anything larger than 54 or 56 for a low B. And I don't like a plain string any larger than .020". Bigger than that just feels weird and is "warbly". I've tried pretty much every available gauge to come to those conclusions.

Looking at my prior post (#10), I'd probably just pickup a set of D'Addario EXL 145s. That set is 12, 16, 20, 32, 42, 54. Then maybe pickup some singles for experimentation. I guarantee I'd switch out the 12 for an 11.

After a lot of experimentation, I've found that I am not so fussy about tension with lower tunings. Part of the flop is part of the allure for me. With standard tuning, I like 9-46, but have no problem with lower relative tension with lower tunings.

Just throw some strings on there and experiment. You'll find what you like and don't like.

Comment

Well, the 52 was too slack, so I've got 56 as the B.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I use Bass Rotosound 105s on ALL my shit and it sounds awesomely shitty!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

You know what I miss...a big ol' floppy cunt!

YEAHHHHH!!!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

With strings like that, I bet a lot of people really smite thee
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Working...
                X