No announcement yet.

Heavy Duty Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also consider trying Ebay for a used Gotoh or OFR before shelling out the $80-90 for a gamble. Alot of the Korean OFR go pretty much complete for just around $100 and mine work perfectly. The Schaller OFR's are better quality, but the Korean ones are very nice. I put one on my Kelly XLR to replace the Takeuchi JT 580lp and it was a big tonal improvement (and this was with big brass blocks on both-34mm on the JT580lp and 37mm on the OFR). Reliablefender on ebay sells quite a few of the Korean one's off of the new Charvels.

Comment

Great advice guys, I am going to stick with the JT-6 and go with the brass block. I am pretty sure the original block was 1.25" which I think is 32mm. I am going to take my calipers home today to get an accurate measurement. If it doesn't help, who cares, it was 30 bucks with shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by bigolsparky View Post
        Great advice guys, I am going to stick with the JT-6 and go with the brass block. I am pretty sure the original block was 1.25" which I think is 32mm. I am going to take my calipers home today to get an accurate measurement. If it doesn't help, who cares, it was 30 bucks with shipping.
        This seems odd to me. Most JT6's were top mounted, so a 42mm would be correct. 37mm were for trems 1/2 in and 1/2 out, and 32mm was for fully recessed trems.

Back in the days of the JT6, most trems were top mounted and used a 42mm.

Also, the 42mm would give you even more mass then a 32mm, and for the same price.

Comment

I'd get a newer Gotoh and then get the big block update from floydroseupdates.com. The Gotoh is such higher quality than the OFR, JT6, or the Shaller 580-590 series.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            This seems odd to me. Most JT6's were top mounted, so a 42mm would be correct. 37mm were for trems 1/2 in and 1/2 out, and 32mm was for fully recessed trems.

Back in the days of the JT6, most trems were top mounted and used a 42mm.

Also, the 42mm would give you even more mass then a 32mm, and for the same price.
            I thought that was odd as well. I use 34mm blocks on my lo pros and 37 mm when I upgraded to Original Floyd Roses and Gotohs since they don't sit as deep as the Lo Pro (plus trying to get a bit more mass). An unrecessed floyd like that should use a 42mm, maybe a 37mm if it sits low.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
              I'd get a newer Gotoh and then get the big block update from floydroseupdates.com. The Gotoh is such higher quality than the OFR, JT6, or the Shaller 580-590 series.
              Gotoh's are awesome quality and do have some really cool design improvements and IMO probably have better quality control these days. However, Gotoh's and OFR's have very different feels though due to the knife edge design. My gotoh is alot smoother and requires less force, while I really have to manhandle my OFR. I hated the OFR at first, but now I prefer it. The extra tension causes it to snap back a little more, which is cool when doing extreme diving or pulling up. Regardless either one stays in tune amazingly.

Comment

Originally posted by snake_pearson View Post
                I've bought alot of blocks from hoockey. His name's Keith. Good guy and makes a good product. I've had him make me custom blocks for the Takeuchi JT 580lps (different spacing on the block mounting screws from the newer models) and for my newer JT 580lps, Gotohs, and OFRs. Highly recommended. He has a website now as well http://guitarpartsgarage.com/shop-fo...block-upgrade/.

+1.

I've also dealt with this guy. have bought 2 blocks from him so far. the Floyd block also fit my Hamer Floyd (made by Schaller). he even threw in some stainless steel mounting screws. and I think his prices are the same on his site as on ebay, so there are options.

Comment

Working...
                X