Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SD Mustaine Livewires....black chrome???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
    They sound NOTHING like EMGs. I have never tried Blackouts, so I can't accurately compare them to those.
    They are, for all intensive purposes, the JB/Jazz set, but with an active preamp circuit to increase the bite and output while retaining the clarity.
    Cool. I got a set last Holiday season from a store close-out, but have yet to install them on anything. Only reason I got them was because of the price. Full set was $75 total with tax.

Any chance you can send them to SD to repair/replace them? They should cover the cost, I mean in a way it was their adhesive-backed wrapping that caused it. Right?

Comment

Yeah, a huge part of why I got them is because of the reviews saying how great they sound.
      But another part of it was the killer looks they have.

Wow, $75 for the set new is great! I got mine in a trade. There may be a slight possibility SD may help me, but I'll have to wait and see.
      If not, I guess I'll just have a great sounding set of ugly pickups!

Let me know if yours have that problem with the stickers when you get around to opening them, if you don't mind?
      Yours have been sitting for a while too, so I wonder...?
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I've seen this on motorcycle parts. It's (almost 100% sure) the nickel plate tarnishing under the chrome. And there's nothing you can do sadly.

Just for curiosity, do these have the quick disconnects? Don't the blackouts have the same connector as EMG's?
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Nope, these are hardwired. Not sure if newer ones have the quick disconnects or not...
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

Good to know. Thanks man.
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Try Never Dull and if that doesn't work go to auto parts store and get some chrome polish. There is mag wheel polish that will knock that right out just have to put some elbow grease into it unless they did the black chrome cheaply.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                Let me know if yours have that problem with the stickers when you get around to opening them, if you don't mind?
                Yours have been sitting for a while too, so I wonder...?
                They're in my storage space. From what I can recall, I don't remember them having plastic coverings/wrap on them. They look like black EMGs but with DM's sig. I think they were from the first or second year they were produced. The set came in a large plastic box with blue & yellow SD packaging. I think I might install them in a mid-90s San Dimas reissue model with koa body. But I'll let you know, I'll be going there this weekend for them and some tools.

Comment

Does anyone know how to figure out the date of manufacture on these DM Livewires?

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                    Try Never Dull and if that doesn't work go to auto parts store and get some chrome polish. There is mag wheel polish that will knock that right out just have to put some elbow grease into it unless they did the black chrome cheaply.
                    I believe is actually black nickel, not black chrome. Black Chrome would be much more durable.

Comment

So I went to my storage space and picked up a few things. One being the DM Lwires. Realized I got them TWO years ago and the plastic wrap is still on them. I was afraid - like DalyTek, that the adhesive had altered the finish. Did a little 'pull-test' of the wrap on the side of the PU and it seems fine. I'm not pulling the wraps off until I install them, but I think they're ok.

DalyTek, if SD customer support can't help, perhaps go the alternate route and really mod them, sort of like this Barkeknuckle PU; might go well with your finish:

Comment

Working...
                      X