Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixing/Patching a headstock finish chip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the tips MAJNH.
    Should be fun.

Comment

Black Sharpie LOL
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

acetone wont hurt a polyurethane finish. it only slighty dulls it out. without reshooting the entire head stock.. u could actually spot it with an airbrush.. black base and clearcoat. but its a pain in the ass to do and envolves knowing how to paint which leads to just repainting the headstock instead.. brush touch with lacquer is still guna be noticeble. even if u can rub it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
          Black Sharpie LOL
          +1

Comment

Originally posted by sik_kreations View Post
            acetone wont hurt a polyurethane finish. it only slighty dulls it out.
            It dulls it because of a chemical reaction, which is harming the finish.

Do NOT put pure acetone on your guitar's finish, lacquer or not.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
              It dulls it because of a chemical reaction, which is harming the finish.

Do NOT put pure acetone on your guitar's finish, lacquer or not.
              wiping 2k with acetone if its cured it will not harm the finish. brake fluid and paint stripper is a different story.
              1k is a whole nother ball game.

Comment

Won't harm it? I thought you said it dulled it? What do you think the dulling is?

It's pitting the finish. If you leave it on there, it will soften and then dissolve it.

Comment

I fixed several chips in one of my Jackson's. I used to just use marker pens or nail varnish, with very tacky and unsatisfying results. In the end I decided to take the plunge and learn how to do it correctly.

I started by following the advice in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVScFJoe24

I was very nervous because I had zero experience in sanding anything and I was afraid of hurting the finish even more. My first attempt at repairing the dings was sloppy on account of my lack of skill (but this turned out to be a good thing because I learned how to buff out scratches later!) but I kept practicing until eventually (and to my personal surprise) I got it right. Now it's like the chips and dings were never there to begin with (and I'll never rely on nail varnish or a marker pen again hahaha)

Instead of using superglue, I ordered some chip repair paint from this company http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/ni...ints-lacquers/ and applied it using the methods I learned from that video. It takes time and a lot of patience but you will get there.

Comment

Working...
                  X