Slide volume pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quicken-loans-zing-blog.png
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      I'm with Twitch - I could see this being a real problem if the slider got caught on your Star Wars bedspread or on the crocheted blanket across your knees while you're playing, or when you're practicing your Pete Townsend windmills in front of the sliding mirror doors in your bedroom.
      Forgive me for my ignorance, but was this a generically silly joke (In which case, "haha") or an arrogant attempt at ridiculing someone you don't actually know for having only as much experience as you think they have? My underdeveloped 17-year-old mind is incapable of fully grasping your mature sense of comedy
      :think:

In either case, a constructive attitude would be much appreciated from now on. I fully support dicking around and facetious sarcasm in posts that weren't started by people with a problem they aim to solve, but frankly this is not one of those posts.
      I don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.

Comment

Actually I thinly he was mocking Twitch about hitting the spider being mounted in the blade switch slot.

Then again, you've got the Dark Lord of the Mall avatar
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I wouldn't have guessed it. Regardless, progress is good, you said something about someone using a fader volume pot and I couldn't find that after searching, what's up with that?

And I don't get the mall joke, dude.

Comment

Originally posted by Misanthrope[ALWT] View Post
            And I don't get the mall joke, dude.
            Darth Maul , Darth Mall, geddit?
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ahhh. Yeah, wrong Sith, Newc.

does not equal

Comment

Whatever.

And this thread sems strangely familiar to me....

Hmmmm....

I seem to recall looking for this exact same thing some years ago. I looked around Mouser's site but didn't find anything then, and I'm not finding anything now.
                I can find tons of 10K faders, but no 250K/500K/1Meg faders.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Yeah, I googled fader and slider pots, but it seems like everything I find is at least a couple mm longer/shorter/bigger/smaller than the blade selector and only 10K...

Still, it seems like it couldn't be so difficult to even order a custom one at the very worst. At this point I'm getting sort of bent on finding someone somewhere who has succeeded. If we thought it'd be worthwhile, there's got to be someone like-minded somewhere with the resources to make it happen, right?

Comment

http://www.bourns.com/ProductLine.as...panel_controls

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/636/672.pdf

http://parts.digikey.sg/1/3/panasoni...potentiometers

Not sure if these are helpful, but i found them googling "FADER SLIDE POTENTIOMETER 500K"

Comment

How much of a problem do you have with switching pickups on accident? If its not a problem then I can't see what would be the problem.

Also, if you do find one, I would put it so that the volume all the way up would be im the possition like you were on the bridge pickup that way if somehow you brush past it with your right hand, it would be in the right direction and not turn you off.

Keep updates tho cos this interests me
                      I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Originally posted by ralph View Post
                        Thanks, man! Some of these look pretty good as far as resistance goes but I still am not entirely sure about dimensions.. I think i'm going to go measure the pup selector on my DKMG for reference. I'll put up what I find.

Originally posted by TKEblue View Post
                        How much of a problem do you have with switching pickups on accident? If its not a problem then I can't see what would be the problem.

Also, if you do find one, I would put it so that the volume all the way up would be im the possition like you were on the bridge pickup that way if somehow you brush past it with your right hand, it would be in the right direction and not turn you off.

Keep updates tho cos this interests me
                        Switching pickups isn't the problem, the problem is rolling volume with my fingers by accident. My fingers aren't that long and freakish

And for the positions of open and closed yes, that was the idea. Thank you though, I'll post whatever developments arise.

Comment

I mean that if you don't have a problem with accidently switching pickups, then if the volume was there how would it suddenly be a problem. Unless you're moshing on stage I would think it would be fine.
                          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Ohh, I see. Yes, that was my thinking as well. I mean, I have accidentally had my pickups switched by extraneous contact but not nearly as much as I've had my volume turned down. So yes, it's a sound problem that wouldn't be sabotaged (as far as I know) by the proposed solution.

Comment

I was also thinking that you could simply rewire the volume pot so it works in reverse - clockwise turns it down instead of up. Since the common problem most folks have with Jackson's knob placement is turning it down, and not up, if the pot worked in reverse, then you'd only have to worry about turning it up.

There's also low-profile knobs that are a bit shorter than the typical dome knob Jackson uses.

However, the primary problem is that the knob is in the wrong place to begin with. I mean, volume swells are not really so important that the knob has to be right there.
                              This isn't Rory Gallagher's Guitar Company

Comment

I had an old TV with a slider volume pot. It was an absolute bastard to get the right volume!

That sith looks just like Goldie!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X